Fotodiox Tough E-Mount Replacement

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by slothead, Jul 18, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I'm not sure exactly where to post this so here is where it will go for now.

I ordered one of these Fotodiox Tough E-mount replacements the other day and got around to installing it this morning. It seemed to be a fine and simple replacement... until I tried mounting a non-Sony lens! I have at least three adapters which I use to mount non-Sony lenses (I have Nikon, Voigtlander/Nikon, Canon and Sigma/Contax mount), but apparently all my adapters are of the same brand (I never noticed this before - they were just all 'cheap') - Fotasy. None of these three adapters fit on the Tough E-mount ring from Fotodiox. I can't live without the use of the adapted lenses, so I backed out of the replacement and reinstalled the OEM mount pieces. A disappointment to say the least, and I am really not in the mood to replace all three adapters, nor do I seriously want to try and modify the Tough E-mount to accommodate the existing adapters.

After getting the Fotodiox replacement mount off the camera, I tried each of these adapters to see why they would not fit and it appears that they don't travel (rotationally) far enough to engage the mount lock pin. They are each shy about 15-20 degrees or more.

[Trying the Fotasy adapters on the Tough E-mount loose a few minutes later, they seemed to fit (I had heard s light click) - so I repeated the process - still a no go while on the camera body!!!)]

Has anyone here encountered this issue, and if so, what (if anything) did you do about it?

Thanks,

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Sorry you're having the problem...personal opinion is that Fotodiox quality is not ready for prime time and too risky to have as the weak link in a chain of expensive items...other mileage may vary of course.

Tried their FD / NEX tripod mount adapters and had nothing but troubles...sent me replacements until one fit...but then saw posts about the Fotodiox tripod mounting foot being so thin / screws so tiny that a heavy lens was causing them to snap off and hit the pavement.
    Threw them in a drawer and switched to the highly recommended CIECIO7 Tripod Adapters...built like a tank...have never had any kind of problem with them.

CIECIO7 ADAPTER

3. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks for the 'review' Roundball. That does look like a serious tripod mount! Do they have other mount config's (like Nikon/F and Contax/Yashica)?

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Oh yes...huge adapter manufacturer:

http://en.foto-akcesoria.com.pl/index.php/

5. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks Ball, sort of expensive too, eh?

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    You know, I don't like saying this because I don't want to sound like I have money...I don't...but there really is truth to the old saying we get what we pay for...and truth be known, I totally wasted a lot of money and aggravation trying to use low cost Fotodiox adapters in the beginning.

CIECIO7 adapters are expensive...but nowhere near as high as a couple of other top brands...and another thing that minimized the cost to me was that I only use Canon FD lenses...so the same FD / NEX adapter works for every lens I own.

So to me, given all the above, CIECIO7 cost is not bad...to say nothing of the fact that they won't suddenly break off a monopod and dump a couple thousand dollars down on the concrete. But that's all just my personal view of things...

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's very unfortunate Tom - really sorry :(

Personally I didn't knew this issue with the Fotodiox Tough e-mount adapter and I was also planning to buy/install one (on the Nex-6) - definitely won't proceed with one now since I too can't live without my adapted MD lenses...So in this regard, thanks for posting this very informative post :)

On another note, have you tried contacting them regarding this issue???

8. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I'm not giving up on it yet Nick, but I see there are at least 2-3 other models of this plate (all from Fotodiox) and I'm curious if there are any differences. Of course if you asked Fotodiox they would be foolish to tell me they were different - even if it wasn't true. I am also curious if the adapters all perform the same way (even from Fotodiox), but it is difficult to test a lot of different adapters on an assortment of plates.

9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    OK, I'm a bit confused over this....
    It is my understanding that the tough E-mount was an all-metal (stainless steel?) replacement for the ones Sony used that were part plastic, part metal. These had a detectable amount of play with certain large lenses.

Correct?

IIRC, you just got the A7R, and that model already came with an all-metal mount.
    Is there a reason you're replacing it?

As for adapter compatibility, there's another thread regarding this with all-metal mounts. The A7ii also comes with a new all-metal unit.
    And legacy E-mount adapters won't always fit. This is because the all-metal mounts are tighter tolerance towards the thicker end to address play.
    And some adapters were made to compensate for a thinner metal/plastic mount.
    So, it's not necessarily Fotodiox' fault.
    Many of the adapter makers are stating this unit won't fit on A7ii for instance.

Inspect the Fotasy adapters, see if it uses a spring tab or a simple spread brass gap for pressure. If it's the latter, that gap can be widened or narrowed to match the mount tolerance.

• Like Like x 1
  10. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Almost everything you wrote sounds correct, except that the A7R (at least the copy I have) does not have the one-piece metal mount. Like all the other E-mounts (and I don't know if it applies to all the other E-Mounts), it has the part-plastic and part-metal mount. The Tough E-Mount I bought to replace that was one of the all-brass parts (not stainless steel or chrome plated).

I'll take a look at my Fotasys and see if any of them are as you describe. (Does widening or narrowing the gap mean cutting or adding metal - if so, probably not within my skillset),

Thanks for your input,

11. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I tried the CIECIO adapter without the tripod mount and I have to say I was very disappointed. Lots of (and I mean lots of to the point of "is this going to fall off?") play with my FDn 85/1.2 L and completely unusable with FL lenses. It's now the permanent adapter for my FDn 24/2.0 because that's the only lens that fit nicely with it.

12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    You had them replace it, right?

13. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Bought off ebay and wasn't worth sending back since it worked on at least one lens, and there is no way it was made for FL lenses. If anyone has had success with it and the FD 85/1.2 L let me know.

14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I don't recall any CIECIO7 adapter listed for the FL series when I was shopping for my FD/NEX adapter...but I may have over-looked it

15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I love the Tough-e adapter on my A6000! Much tighter fit, and I've had no issues whatsoever. I'll buy yours if you give up on it!

16. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I see, assumed the A7R had the all metal mount.

EDIT:
    I just realized I mixed up the adapter ends. And was talking out of my @ss again!
    Sorry, but there isn't a user serviceable solution to your problem.
    The described operation was for the LENS end of the adapter.
    Duh!

The best solution is to get a Fotodiox adapter, which SHOULD match up to their mount.

If you have multiple brands of lenses and matching adapters, you'll need to buy all new ones. :(

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  17. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    That was my solution too Will (buying multiple adapters). I guess I was optimistic about your adjustment method... Oh well. I'll figure this out one way or another.

Thanks again,

18. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Steve,
    I see five different models on Amazon ranging from $40 to $60 some plain brass and some plated or steel (silver-colored anyway), and some of these are the light-tight (LT) variety and some are not. Which do you have on your a6000? I bought the brass, non-LT variety (having not heard about the light leak). Had I know about the LT type, I would have bought that - and I may still.

19. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I have news - good news - on a couple - or more - fronts!
    Hearing about Steve (above) having a Tough E-mount on his a6000, I decided to try my Tough on my a6000 (I don't know why I didn't try this first). Anyway the Tough E-mount fit perfectly on my a6000 (although it also did on my A7R), and the real test was mounting an adapter to it.

My first revelation was that my brass Tough E-mount was in fact one of the light-tight variety (as I noticed the 'LT' on the brass - I don't know why I didn't see this before). The second revelation was that I do in fact have a Fotodiox Nikon G adapter (the Nikon glass is my favorite and that adapter alone will serve most of my needs). The Fotodiox adapter mounted and locked perfectly, and in fact I just slightly felt the 'barrier' that the other (Fotasy) adapters encountered on the A7R when I tried them there. Subsequently I tried the Fotasy adapter on the Tough E-mount and it also fit and locked just fine!

I never tried the Fotodiox adapter on the Tough E-mount plate when on the A7R, but I won't plan on that until I buy another plate (which I definitely will). In my industry we only use critical fasteners 3 times before they are discarded and I hesitate making too many changes to the plates and their screws. By the way, the screws in my a6000 and my A7R are different, the A7R screws appears to be smaller, but are a finer thread and slightly (almost indiscernibly) longer.

The bottom line in my case, is that the Fotodiox Tough E-mount is not at fault in any of this and I have successfully used it on my a6000. My next step is to determine why the difference between the a6000 and the A7R (if not my own modification issue).

Thanks all for your invaluable inputs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    No it doesn't. The problem of course is that the $12 ebay adapters work with both FL/FD and don't have any play with my FDn 85/1.2 L. So it is a rather FD(old)-specific adapter, or with small FDn lenses (doesn't work with big heavy FDn, or any FL, if my sample is typical).