Fotodiox Minolta MC/MD adapter for A7RII

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pworden, Dec 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Hmm. Fits perfectly on A7R but not on II. I know it's a cheap adapter but am surprised. Am I missing something (wouldn't be surprised)?

2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I have one of those I use on my Nex-7.
    In what way doesn't it fit?
    Diameter too big?

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I have read other reports that some of the less-expensive adapters are very tight on the A7 II. Apparently the A7 II's lens mount is considerably less accommodating of loose tolerances. Some have mentioned that they can get it to fit if they force it on. But I'd be leery of applying too much muscle.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    It doesn't lock in. It fits on my a6000, too but not a7rii. Maybe tighter tolerance? I have a few manual Minoltas I like very much and looked forward to using them with a little stabilization. Looks like I might have spend even more $. Watch for sales ;)

5. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Me too. Definitely don't want to force it. Oh well.

6. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I seem to remember having a bit of trouble with mine the first time I used it.
    Let me dig it out and take a look.

7. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I have one other Minolta MD to Nex adapter - Fotasy, with a tripod foot - that one snaps in. The foot's s little overkill for the 45/2.0 ;)

8. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    The mechanical lock is provided by the pin next to the release button.
    I'm sure the mating hole in the adapter is put in on a CNC machine when the adapter flanges are machined.
    Are you sure you're aligning the red dot with the white dot on the camera?
    That is what clocks the flanges so the hole ends up over the pin when you rotate the adapter when installing it. IMG_0910.JPG

9. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Yup - definitely. Just won't lock in.

10. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    The A6k mount is plastic isn't it?
    A7ii's are metal.
    Once locked in, I don't feel any slop rotation-ally so they've got the pin to hole toleranced pretty tightly. I'd guess it's 0.0005" max clearance.
    Could be that the pin in your A7Rii is just a tad oversized. It doesn't take much when working with pin in hole parts for it not to fit. I've machined enough of them to know.
    I'm actually pretty surprised they can pump out those Fotodiox ones so cheaply and still have the fit they do.

11. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    DSC04453.JPG Is the hole in your adapter a perfect hole or is it oblong?
    Mine is oblong, ie not perfectly round.

12. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Oblong.

13. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Can you feel even the slightest hint of movement when the Fotasy adapter is locked on the camera?
    I'm betting the pin on the A7Rii is just a tad oversized, like maybe a 0.0001" or so. Wouldn't take much to keep it from clicking in.
    I'll bet with use it'll wear a little and that adapter will eventually fit.

14. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    That would be nice! Presently just won't lock at all, but I'll use the other one for a couple of months and check again! Thanks much for taking the time to check!

15. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The mount on the a6000 is PLASTIC?

16. Sucofni

Sucofni TalkEmount Regular

Nov 8, 2015
    I must me one of the lucky ones who's a6000 mount is metal of some kind

17. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Kevin missed my [?] at the end of my question. I was asking if it was, not stating it IS.

18. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    image.
    A6000 on left has metal face on the mount but plastic ring behind it. A7R & A7RII both have all metal. I know the A7RII is supposed to have a better mount than A7R, one of the things that was of interest to me since I use a few pretty heavy lenses frequently. Looking forward to using th RII for a long, long time! No $ after this!

19. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Have a closer look at your A6000 mount. The face is metal but just behind, the tangs that actually lock the lens in place are plastic. People complained that this made for a sloppy mount (all mine have been fine) and sony updated the mount starting with the A7S to all metal and in the process tightened the tolerances. This has caused issues with older adapter now being tight on the newer mount.

20. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Oops...well I took a look at mine and it is indeed a plastic mount with a metal face. It sort of makes sense. The a6000 would not have been able to hit the price point it does with the build quality of the old NEX 7 or 5n. In hand the a6000 feels noticeably lighter than the NEX camera. Too bad.