Formatt Hitech filters anyone ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by izTheViz, Aug 24, 2016.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Hi,

I have some circular ND filters and an old Lee Seven5 GND which is quite small and not convenient to be used on my FE 16-35. I have invested in the Playmemories Sky HDR App but don't find it that good (major cons is that you need to be on a tripod)
    I am about to invest a few bucks in a kit (holder, adapter + 2 filters) and wonder if anyone has already used Formatt Hitech filters As per my understanding they are as good (or close) as Lee's and much cheaper.

Thanks

Yannis

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Here in The Netherlands some stores also Athabasca filters which are in the same price range. Haven't seen any comparisons so far between those and Formatt Hitech filters, but I think I'd go for Athabasca if I wanted to buy now.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yannis, check out Nisi 100x100 filter system!

I have the new V5 holder kit (which is a bargain considering you also get a slim cpl, three adapters rings, and a beautiful leather hard case in the price - you would need at least double the amount to get the equivelant Lee items) which is of EXCELLENT build (alloy) quality! I also have their new 100x100 ND1000 IR which is brilliant and trully low color cast (not like the Lee's Big Stopper blue cast).

Nisi is relatively new player to the filter game but even if its China made, I assure you there are no discounts made in quality - top notch stuff. Check them out and also their pro protographers that act as their ambassadors

HTH ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Nick, I agree on the the build quality of the Nisi V5 filter holder kit, top notch quality. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  5. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Thanks for your advices.
    Nisi looks very good indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alex_Apo

Alex_Apo TalkEmount Regular

Jul 18, 2015
    Cyprus
    For the 16-35 you will need definitely a 100x100 system Yianni!!
    Since next week samyang 12mm will arrive, I'm also looking formatt hitech filters along with Haida (i was using a circular nd 1000 haida with very good results)
    Every review that i see for formatt hitech (especially Firecast series) is very impressive. Filters for digital Photography - phillipreeve.net
    I believe for a start the holder with a soft grad 0.9(3stops) and a 6 stop filter will do the job!!

• Like Like x 1