For some reason an uncommon lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by f/otographer, Mar 9, 2014.

1. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I have no idea why, but the Yashica ML 35/2.8 does not show up for sale anywhere near as often as it should. I wouldnt go so far as to call it a rare lens, but it is somewhat hard to track down. My photography budget and an available 35/2.8 finally aligned with the help of the photo gods and I now have a series 1 version of this lens.

In about two years of on and off searching for this lens on the auction site I have seen it come up maybe 7 times. Thats including going back and checking the completed auctions listings. Sometimes months go by with nary a one in sight. I have only seen one for sale on KEH and that was in ugly condition so I passed. On the other hand, I see countless examples of all the other ML's under 50mm, including the 21/2.8 and 24/2.8, of which three of each were for sale when I bid on this lens. It makes no sense as to why this lens, which should have been one of the most common focal lengths sold, is so hard to find.

But I finally have one in my mitts. It is solidly made like all of the other ML lenses (not counting the cheaper, later 50/1.9's and 2.0's). Being the series 1 lens it has the rubber focus ring and the beveled metal edges. For all intents and purposes it is almost exactly like the older Yashinon DS-M 35/2.8 in M42 mount. I honestly think Yashica did nothing more then change the M42 mounts on their DS-M lenses to the new Contax/Yashica mount so they had a ready made full set of lenses for their new cooperative effort with Zeiss. The series 1 ML's soon gave way to the series 2, which lost the beveled metal edges and went to a hard plastic focus ring on an otherwise metal lens. Some of the optical formulas changed at this time including the 35/2.8. This was also the time that (supposedly) the older Yashica ML 50/1.7 got the same internals as the Zeiss Planar 50/1.7 since Yashica bean counters figured out it was cheaper to just make more Planar glass then it was to make the Planar 50/1.7 AND the ML 50/1.7 glass. So there is a possibility that the second series ML 50/1.7 is a Zeiss Planar but with the ML coating instead. But that is another story. ;)

Anyway, here are some of the fruits of the last couple of days shooting. I believe the second series 35/1.8 is considered to be slightly better then the first series (which of course is only important on internet forums, not out in the real world taking real pictures). If that is the case then the second lens must be a cracker. Because so far I am not disappointed in my copy at all. It has all the characteristics of ML glass that I have come to know and love. Nicely sharp wide open, crazy sharp stopped down, Tomioka bokeh, great all metal build, wonderful colors....just a solid all around lens.

So without further ado...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    It does look pretty nice
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Excellent set of photos as always!!! #2 is awesome shot and I have no words to express how much I adore #3 :thumbup:
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    An uncommon lens for an uncommon talent!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Thank you all for the kind words. It is very much appreciated. :)