1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

for all the fast lens lovers

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by gio, Jan 14, 2013.

1. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    While the speed increas is nice, the FOV increase has more appeal for me. This would pretty much negate the need for a FF NEX body for me. Assuming it actually works in the flesh. The pics on the Metabones site look promising.

I wait with bated breath to see real-world results. If it works I may have to raid the retirement fund yet again. ;)

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow, that's an expensive adapter!!! :p

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, it basically makes your NEX full frame in every aspect. The full frame NEX-9 may already be obsolete now - maybe a A-Mount PDAF version of this focal reducer?

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, but if you already have the glass… [shrug]

6. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Hang on... the adapter front attaches to Sony AF full frame lens I presume?

If that's the case, will its front mount accept yet another adaptor to fit our various MF legacies without throwing infinity focus off?

If it can and doesn't, legacy lenses are gonna get pretty long won't they?

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    The Speed Booster replaces your current adapter and is actually smaller than that one.

More info here: http://www.metabones.com/images/metabones/Speed%20Booster%20White%20Paper.pdf

I'm pretty psyched about this. NEX is already probably the best system around for adapting SLR lenses, and this takes it a step further still.

8. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    It will perhaps be a good idea but I will not buy.

9. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Not necessarily Sony AF full frame, in fact the first one is going to be Canon EF. I think the adapters will be mount specific.
    Probably makes sense if you have premium glasses already, like Leica R or Canon EF L lenses.
    I'll probably put the same amount of money towards FF mirror-less.

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    They need to release a Leica M mount one to make me happy. I mis-read Leica R as Leica L earlier. Drat!

11. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    OK that makes sense...

12. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    lol , get those lenses now before ebayers catch on and hike the price

13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I'd sure be interested in one of these, but only if they offer one minus the AF and iris-control functionality (and at a substantially lower price) for my FD lenses. Here's hoping that's on their agenda.

14. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I love the premise, but I am skeptical as to how worthwhile it will be in real life (never been a big fan of 3rd party adapter/converters with glass).

IME most old 35mm lenses are already somewhat compromised in the corners and edges, even with a straight cropped projection. Take the material beyond the crop and run in through another element to compress it in ways never intended by the original designers... I am not especially optimistic about the resulting IQ.

For the time being, my money is still on a FF body. For $600, I think I'd rather just get an old EOS 5D. At proposed prices, for all the different lens mounts I'm currently using, I'd probably be better off with the NEX-9! ;)

Hate to rain on the parade. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong... (I would actually like that.)

15. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Maybe I'm a bit slow today, but I don't really understand the purpose of that adapter or how it works lol

16. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    My current understanding is... (it may change, lol)

1) This new optical adapter reduces the excessively large rear projected circular image of SLR/DSLR lenses (designed to cover a full frame sensor) so that it only just covers our NEX APS-C sensor.

2) Although this does not increase our megapixel output (still 16mp for 6 and earlier bodies and still 24mp for the 7), the effect introduces a new 0.70 factor that cancels the 1.50 factor that occurs when we mount our legacies with our present adapters in order to maintain infinity focus. So my Tamron 24mm legacy which currently acts like a 36mm on my 5N, would be restored to it's original focal length and act as a 24mm on my NEX with this new optical adapter - thus achieving a full-frame effect but with NO pixel resolution increase.

3) The golden bonus apparently is that the lens aperture ALSO inherits the 0.70 factor. Therefore a 1:2.8 lens becomes a 1:1.9 lens... or a 1:1.4 standard nifty becomes a 1:0.98... :eek: - hence the speedy transformation.

This is new territory in our photography world as we know it (well it's actually old territory but in reverse of a teleconverter)... but I'm getting a brain freeze just thinking about it. I'm sure I'm missing some vital consequences of the theory and it's currently leaking out my ears this very moment, lol!

For one thing, because this converter is reducing the image, the light path along the edges of the projection will possibly converge slightly. Will this reduce the angle of incidence on some of those ultra-wide angle legacies and stop them from purple-fringing on the NEX7 in particular??

17. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah that's pretty much it. The surface area for a given aperture covering FF is constant, so when you project it down to APSC, the ratio of light-catching surface area to sensor increases, hence the "gain" in f-stop. The increase in amount of glass is mitigated by the downsizing of the image (i.e. lowering the requirements of the glass to outresolve the sensor), so theoretically if you get really good glass you might just be able to increase the image quality (I'm somewhat dubious about this part of the claim by Metabones ).

And there has to be a catch somewhere, and of course there is - it's that you're using a FF worth of glass (and their AF motors) to cover an APSC sensor, so bigger/heavier lens on smaller sensor. Try cramming the Canon EF 50/1.2 onto the NEX and you can see how big an APSC 50/0.9 is supposed to be - camera makers simply didn't bother because there's the assumption (probably right) that there's very limited market for such extreme combinations. But it's a potential gold mine for a dedicated adapter maker like Metabones. The other problem is the prohibitive cost ($200 more than the already expensive AF adapter, just for a single extra piece of glass?).

18. tanglewood

tanglewood TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 11, 2012

...and to add to my understanding of your understanding...

The apparent depth of field of such a 1.4 fifty, though the light gathered will be like 0.95 will still look like 1.4 if that is the aperture employed when the cropped image is enlarged.

Fascinating.

More light is concentrated onto a smaller sensor but with a heavy lens. Possibly a worthwhile tradeoff.

19. tanglewood

tanglewood TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 11, 2012
    Q: if a 0.7 "wideconverter" results in 1 stop faster lens, would a 0.5 "wideconverter" therefore speed up the lens by 2 stops?

If yes, wheeeee m43!

:D

20. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    ^ Ooooo... yeah, I hear ya!

A 0.95 besides being too expensive has a wide open DOF so crazy narrow that I often question if it's of any practical use (other than to provide a bright pentaprism viewfinder image) to aid manual focusing in the dark for the ol' film SLRs.

An adapted 1.4 nifty pushing 0.95 of brightness on the NEX sensor would not only have a more usable DOF as you mentioned, but I'm sure it will help focus peaking... and for the DSLR 1.4 AF lenses should help in focusing speed somewhat - in really dark situations.