Focusing ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by justa, Jul 13, 2013.

1. justa

justa TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    Coming from a Nikon DSLR the main negative for me is that focusing is slower but I can live with that as I don't take action type shots.

Today i took out my nex6 and new Sigma 30mm lens - I'm very very impressed with the sharpness - easily as sharp as the Nikon 35mm 1.8 i had.

But I had one focusing issue - I was trying to focus on a lone poppy in a field of wheat and I just could only get one shot where it focused correctly - the other times it focused fantastically on all the ears of wheat around it but not the poppy !

I'll show an e.g.

This is when it did focus - and its sharp, even when I use the loupe at 100%

Every other image looked like this...

Any suggestions where i am going wrong ? Camera was set to Autofocus and I tried multi focus area and centre but neither worked...
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    That's why they built in direct manual focus (DMF).
  3. justa

justa TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    Yeah tried that too !
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    I always use flexible-spot focussing which features the smallest area determining focus. Even then with a subject like this, the camera can easily pick the wrong feature to focus on. As Poki says, you can use DMF so that you can correct the focus or MF where you can determine focus all by yourself. In my experience manual focussing works quite well with the Sigma 30/2.8.
  5. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    An alternative to manual focusing is to set the auto-focus mode to spot focus. Place the spot on the location that you wish to be in focus, press the shutter button half-way to initiate focusing, then keep the shutter button half-way down to lock the focus while you recompose the picture.

Since no auto-focus system is perfect, some images will still not be correct, but the vast majority will be acceptable in most circumstances.

- Tom -