• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Focusing issues with A7 III and Sony lenses

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Crazy150, thank you for your comment. :)
Perhaps you are right saying I am judging harshly when comparing the m43 with a FF
However, let me tell you that I have used a Canon 5D with success and I know ( a little ) about depth of field and all that stuff regarding the subject and it's relation to the lens focal.
I now use the Expandable Flexible Spot with good results.
Cheers ! :)

ILCE-7M3    FE 135mm F1.8 GM    135mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    ISO 1000

crazy150

TalkEmount Rookie
Crazy150, thank you for your comment. :)
Perhaps you are right saying I am judging harshly when comparing the m43 with a FF
However, let me tell you that I have used a Canon 5D with success and I know ( a little ) about depth of field and all that stuff regarding the subject and it's relation to the lens focal.
I now use the Expandable Flexible Spot with good results.

That's good to hear. I suspect I'll be coming to you for advice on coming over from MFT. Did you keep your em5? If so, what lenses did you hold onto?

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Crazy150 I am keeping the m43 and all the lenses and I have a few.
Panasonic 24mm | Oly 7-14 (great lens !) | 12-40 | Panny 42.5 f/1.2 | Olympus 70-150 | Oly 75 | Panny 20
I moved to Sony just for GAS and I have been a bit silly, influenced by the publicity. A shame indeed !

ILCE-7M3    FE 135mm F1.8 GM    135mm    f/4.0    1/500s    ISO 100

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Crazy, I forgot to tell you that teh m43 has for me, a great advantage: the weight !
This is the reason why I moved to it but now I am back to FF ! :)

crazy150

TalkEmount Rookie
Crazy, I forgot to tell you that teh m43 has for me, a great advantage: the weight !
This is the reason why I moved to it but now I am back to FF ! :)
I totally have GAS as well. Although, I've accumulated so much MFT gear that I will be selling some fo them to make way for a few FE lenses. I have to decide what to keep for my EM1mkii--probably the 7-14, the 12-40 and the 75-300. I don't think I can afford (or carry) long lenses for full-frame.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Crazy, the 7-14 is a must BUT it has to be carefully used or else you will have great and unpleasant distortions !

Thanks Ziggy !

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Use a manual lens, and you'll never have any problems with auto focus! :rofl:

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
I don't think so Rae. In this situation you have to rely only on what is see and your eyes. All must be calibrated.
Even when you use focus peaking it is hard to get the exact point.
Thank you for commenting !:)

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I love manual focus, in fact I only own one autofocus lens, a Tamron 28-75mm I use most often for family stuff. It is an acquired skill. I do not use focus peaking a lot, but use magnification quite a bit. I have assist turned on, so as soon as I turn the focus ring it magnifies (can override) and a half-press exits magnification. Works for me as a mostly landscape and close-up/macro kind of shooter, so not many people images.

(Probably lost in translation, but Tipton was being humorous. Since a manual lens does not use autofocus, autofocus cannot be a problem.)

crazy150

TalkEmount Rookie
I don't think so Rae. In this situation you have to rely only on what is see and your eyes. All must be calibrated.
Even when you use focus peaking it is hard to get the exact point.
Thank you for commenting !:)
Hey Antonio, just got my A7iii a few hours ago and let's just say I'm not too thrilled with it. The only native lens I have currently is the 85mm 1.8 from sony. I have to ask, does the camera hunt to focus with many lenses? My Oly with the 45mm 1.8 pretty much nails the focus instantly. Granted, less glass to move, 2x depth of field, etc. but still. $550 lens and 2k camera should focus more quickly and reliably than a Canon 5dmkii with the cheap 85mm. But what's more dissapointing is that I honestly can't see much difference in IQ or noise than with the em1mkii.

Need to give it more time, but my first impression is that this camera isn't worth the money or compromise on ergonomics.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Crazy, I agree with Ziggy: "The Sony hi res sensors are demanding of lenses and technique." you need more time with the A7 III to get used to it. And so do I !!! :laugh:
Perhaps - not perhaps - I rephrase: The Olympus 5 MkIII focus system is not so sophisticated as the one from Sony and as consequence, it is easier to master. Am I wrong ? :cautious:

ILCE-7M3    FE 85mm F1.8    85mm    f/3.5    1/1000s    ISO 400

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Correct.
Nikon pro AF has books devoted to it.
Sony uses more algorithms and so there's more to be learned.
Autofocus is a tool - with ins and outs, strength and weaknesses, straight lines and workarounds.

crazy150

TalkEmount Rookie
The Sony hi res sensors are demanding of lenses and technique.
Is 24mp hi res? In any case, I seem to have got the hang of it. Seems one issue is that I was working near the minimum focus distance in my testing which is not as close as I had thought--does sony not print this on any of their lenses?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
It's not normally on the lenses themselves, but you can usually find it online. For Sony lenses look on the support pages for your lens. Or try searching {your-lens-name} MFD or {your-lens-name} specs.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I've found my A7iii as challenging to get correct focus as I did my D7000 Nikon when I first got it. Need more practice and to go over the 'how it works' once more too. Knowing the How helps me with the Doing.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Often people set up to test their lenses by shooting newspapers taped to the wall or bulletin boards with various articles taped or pinned to it.

The problem with this type of testing is that you are basically testing the flat field response at minimum or close to minimum focus distance.

The only lenses that are optimized for this type of photography are true macro lenses.

Another problem in testing lenses is people shooting trees... You see that all the time but, there are so very many different points of focus on the various leaves that it is (IMO) difficult to see what is in and out of focus as opposed to being just fuzzy due to lens quality.

When I bought my first DSLR telephoto lens which was a 70-200mm f/4L Canon, I had difficulties with focus. It turned out that the camera decided to focus on areas that were not important to me. Ensuring where the camera has selected to focus is a prime prerequisite to efficient AF...

An advantage to the Sony cameras is that you can use touch focus to determine the focus spot when you are using the EVF and if you are using lock on focus with AFC, the focus will hold despite the subject or camera movement...

However, if I am shooting images without faces or if (for some reason) the face in the image is not the most important facet of the image, I tend to shut off the Face Detect (which also cancels the Eye-AF). This is a parameter that I have included on my Fn or Function Button. The ability to customize the Sony menus to reflect my style of shooting is a great asset. IMO, photographers who have not bothered with customizing the menus or who do not really know what they want in a menu, may just be the folks that complain about the Sony Menus System being cumbersome and complicated. I like the Sony menu system especially, that I can work the menu items quickly through the viewfinder without removing my eye from that viewfinder and that I can see the menu choices in bright sunlight.

Some folks also complain about the lack of touch response in selecting menu items. This is a total non factor to me since I don't enjoy using touch selection with any menu - including my cell phone. I have a neat Sony Chromebook into which I can select items using three methods: Touch screen, touch pad and by using a separate mouse. I prefer using a separate mouse, touch pad and touch screen in that order.

Using Eye-AF in AFC in shooting portraits of people or animals tells the camera exactly where to focus and I have found that both my A7iii and A6400 nail and hold focus on the eyes even when the subject is very small in the viewfinder.

I am a bit more comfortable using my left eye to view the EVF of my A6xxx cameras since I am left eye predominant. However, it is more efficient for me to use my right eye in viewing the EVF since I can more easily have access to the LCD for touch focus using my right thumb on the right side of the LCD screen...

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
... IMO, photographers who have not bothered with customising the menus or who do not really know what they want in a menu, may just be the folks that complain about the Sony Menus System being cumbersome and complicated...
That is precisely my case Richard !
Thank you ! :biggrin:

Richard, I am joking but I feel I am among those guys. :thumbup:

crazy150

TalkEmount Rookie
Often people set up to test their lenses by shooting newspapers taped to the wall or bulletin boards with various articles taped or pinned to it.

The problem with this type of testing is that you are basically testing the flat field response at minimum or close to minimum focus distance.

The only lenses that are optimized for this type of photography are true macro lenses.

Another problem in testing lenses is people shooting trees... You see that all the time but, there are so very many different points of focus on the various leaves that it is (IMO) difficult to see what is in and out of focus as opposed to being just fuzzy due to lens quality.

When I bought my first DSLR telephoto lens which was a 70-200mm f/4L Canon, I had difficulties with focus. It turned out that the camera decided to focus on areas that were not important to me. Ensuring where the camera has selected to focus is a prime prerequisite to efficient AF...

An advantage to the Sony cameras is that you can use touch focus to determine the focus spot when you are using the EVF and if you are using lock on focus with AFC, the focus will hold despite the subject or camera movement...

However, if I am shooting images without faces or if (for some reason) the face in the image is not the most important facet of the image, I tend to shut off the Face Detect (which also cancels the Eye-AF). This is a parameter that I have included on my Fn or Function Button. The ability to customize the Sony menus to reflect my style of shooting is a great asset. IMO, photographers who have not bothered with customizing the menus or who do not really know what they want in a menu, may just be the folks that complain about the Sony Menus System being cumbersome and complicated. I like the Sony menu system especially, that I can work the menu items quickly through the viewfinder without removing my eye from that viewfinder and that I can see the menu choices in bright sunlight.

Some folks also complain about the lack of touch response in selecting menu items. This is a total non factor to me since I don't enjoy using touch selection with any menu - including my cell phone. I have a neat Sony Chromebook into which I can select items using three methods: Touch screen, touch pad and by using a separate mouse. I prefer using a separate mouse, touch pad and touch screen in that order.

Using Eye-AF in AFC in shooting portraits of people or animals tells the camera exactly where to focus and I have found that both my A7iii and A6400 nail and hold focus on the eyes even when the subject is very small in the viewfinder.

I am a bit more comfortable using my left eye to view the EVF of my A6xxx cameras since I am left eye predominant. However, it is more efficient for me to use my right eye in viewing the EVF since I can more easily have access to the LCD for touch focus using my right thumb on the right side of the LCD screen...
I am getting used to it a bit. Right now the biggest issue I have with the handling is the front dial placement. With the grip being so short, I’m only left with two fingers on the grip when I go to rotate the front dial. That and the exposure comp dial is very stiff. I will have to order a grip extension or a battery grip.

I have customized it pretty well now and added some elements to the custom menu.

just got the Tamron 28-75. Haven’t shot much with it, but that’s a true mirrorless lens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom