1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

focus stacking

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Bimjo, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    So, yesterday I got a RRS catalog in the mail. It had a rather extensive section on macro shooting, including the instructions for how to focus stack pics so you could get the entire subject in focus, which can be a big deal with macro shots.

So a bit ago I'm thinking that this should work with a normal shot to isolate the background by using a large aperture and stacking shots. So I gave it a try. Since it was a quicky test I only took four shots, but it does prove the concept.

This is four shots with a Pentax SMC Takumar 55/1.8 @ f/1.8 taken from the minimum focus distance of the lens ( ~18" ). Please note there is no inherent artistry to the shot, it's a proof of concept thing. ;)

focus_stack01.

At that aperture/subject distance the DOF is 4.3mm according to DOF Master (iPad app) so you'd need a bunch more shots to actually get the whole flower in focus. Interesting exercise.

Now I have to go find my macro rail...

2. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    nicely done!

3. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    well done, great resolution and clarity

4. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    Interesting concept. I'll have to read up on it. Great shot!

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I can see uses for the concept, especially for static subjects where you have to be close the subject and still want to isolate it from the background. Might be a little tough in the wild outdoors trying to contend with wind etc. though.