1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Focus Stacking

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by ChangshaNotes, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Bad weather has me in the house all day and I was bored so I downloaded a trial of Zerene Stacker to play around with.

Now I haven't done much close-Up or macro shooting so this is all new to me.

I used a SMC Takumar 105mm ƒ2.8 with some extension tubes and took 5 shots for stacking.

So here are the 5 shots and the final result.

i-kL4v4FD-1200x1200.

i-6mnLjhJ-1200x1200.

i-pDTRX3G-1200x1200.

i-xccwBt4-1200x1200.

i-T6FVhmd-1200x1200.

Final Result

i-tRV8mjV-1200x1200.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    This is all new to me too. So, the purpose of this is to get an extreme close-up of an object with a large depth of field?

3. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    I very recently decided to take a crack at this too. I just used Photoshop...

ambushbug2442-stack | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I don't think it needs to be limited to "extreme closeup". You could do the same thing with a landscape.

4. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Yeah, to increase the depth of field and of course sleekdigital is right, it can be used for any type of photography really. but it seems to crop up in macro photography a lot.

I should have posted this in the software section I suppose. Considering I had no clue what the hell I was doing, the software showed me what it can do. Really easy, just import and click a button.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Wow, well done, both of you!

While predominantly used in macro shots you can use it for farther shots as well, even landscapes as sleekdigital says. Here's one I tried last year using my Contax 85/1.4 on some lilacs. I need to look at this again, the possibilities are pretty much limited only by your imagination.

6. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    That looks good Jim. The retouching tools in Zerene Stacking seem pretty good to. This will be a fun thing to play with.