Focus Peaking problem using legacy lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Harco, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Harco

Harco New to TalkEmount

Jan 28, 2014
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and hoping someone can help solve a problem I have with focus peaking. I'm using some old OM lenses and they're great with my NEX 6. However I cannot get focus peaking to work with them.

When I try to set manual focus I get the message "Invalid because lens not attached. Attach the lens correctly". I have set Release w/o lens to "enable".

I can use the lenses, i.e. take pictures and focus, but I cannot get focus peaking to work. It's very frustrating. I've searched the net for answers but haven't come across this particular issue. Most similar problems seem to be caused by not having set Release w/o lens which I have done.

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Focus peaking works OK for me, but I also assigned MF Assist to the lower soft key as sometimes you just need to zoom in to see what is super sharp. Peaking is a bit variable, I have it set to high/red but sometimes it just isn't keen - try pointing at an obviously high contrast object/background to check.

I had to fiddle a bit with the settings as I also kept getting 'not available' when pressing the soft key for MF Assist - in the end I had to go to 'Camera>Focus>MF' even though it is obviously already implicitly MF as there is no AF allowed with legacy mount.

Not sure if maybe the above helps or not!?

3. Harco

Harco New to TalkEmount

Jan 28, 2014
    Thanks José but I still can't get it to work. Focus peaking works fine with e-mount lenses it's only when I try to use it with legacy lenses that it won't work.

I tried Camera>Focus>MF but I got the invalid message again.

I'm starting to wonder whether its to do with the adaptor I'm using though I doubt it because the pictures I take seem to be fine.

4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Weird - I have the Nex 5 but I'm pretty sure it should work the same. As you say, the adaptor shouldn't affect it, in fact the camera should think there is no lens attached at all...

5. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Go to setup and see if focus peaking is on or off!!! set " realease without lens" on , but if you have done all this then i think there is a bug in the firmware ,better take it to service centre and get the firmware reinstalled/updated!!

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Just a long shot: do you have the camera on iAuto mode (or whatever it's called)? Turn the mode dial to P and check again, it should work then.

7. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Check your firmware vesion, and if its the latest, just in case.

I use legacy lenses, and have set the lower soft key to focus magnify on my NEX6 with updated FW. I have not seen the error your are reporting.

8. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Im with raay on this. Its probably the 'release without lens' option. You have to tell the camera that you are not going to use a regular Sony E mount lens and that you want all the functions to work anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Are you sure your release without lens in enabled or you won't be able to use it.

10. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    You beat me to it.

11. Harco

Harco New to TalkEmount

Jan 28, 2014
    Hey Guys sorry. I've tried everything you suggested but nothing worked. And then I realised it was my fault not the camera's!

I forgot to mention that I was using extension tubes. When I took them off I could see the focus peaking OK. I hadn't realised it's very difficult / impossible to see the effect when you're at very high magnifications (particularly in poorish light). So it's problem solved and a new bit of knowledge gained. I'm just sorry to have bothered you all with a non-existent glitch.

By the way the £10 Fotodiox extension tubes and the Olympus 50mm 1.8 lens seem to produce great macro results. The NEX 6 is brilliant and I'm enjoying using it far more than my previous Nikon D7000.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Glad you figured it out. Now when someone else has the same problem we can direct them here for a possible answer. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    LOL all that fuss for nothing :) !!! Cheers!!

14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Phew! I hate unsolvable mysteries.

• Agree Agree x 1