1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Focus peaking on NEX-6 — EVF vs. LCD?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by WoodWorks, Jan 29, 2013.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, but the focus peaking is dramatically brighter/more intense on my NEX-6's LCD vs. its EVF. I use the EVF most often, and have to set the peaking to high in order to make it useable in most circumstances. But when set to high, it's so intense on the LCD as to be almost useless. And if I set peaking to be more useable on the LCD (low, in most cases), it hardly registers, if at all on the EVF.

The setting to switch back and forth is one of dozens in the Settings submenu, so it's very inconvenient to find, much less change. My questions: 1) Has anyone else encountered this dramatic difference on their NEX-6, and if so 2) have you found a workaround?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Same issue on my 5N/EVF. I mostly rely on magnification rather than focus peaking when using the EVF.

Not sure if it's the resolution difference between the two or what.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The peaking is calculated by measuring the screen sharpness, not the sharpness of the picture directly from the sensor (same problem for the histogram), so without any software tricks (and Sony seems to don't know how to do such things ...) it is going to be less sharp on the EVF than on the LCD.

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Yes I've noticed that too on the 5n,
    But wouldn't you think the opposite would happen? I think the evf has a sharper image than the LCD.

5. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Not really a workaround, but here's something you could try, it's what I do.

In the Setup menu, under Menu Options, there's something called Menu Start (I think) - set this to "previous" instead of "top" - basically this will resume the Menu (next time you visit it) at the last thing you looked at/changed, rather than always defaulting to the top of the menu list.
    Once you get more accustomed to using your NEX, and set-up the Function button to an order that suits you, you'll find you visit the menus less & less. This is in my experience.

I hardly use the menu's now compared to when I first had the camera. So I usually leave it on the Peaking options (either colour or intensity) so next time I go to the menu, I'm already at the peaking options!

This may be completely useless to you, it all depends how often you dip into the menus, but it works for me. One of the few downsides to NEX ownership is the awful menu system! :)

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I do now, Mr. Orange. But every now and then I want to format an SD card, or futz with one of the other scores of settings in that menu. And then I get to hunt through them all to find the *%$@! peaking setting again. I think I'll give Jim's suggestion a try for a while, and just keep the peaking on low.

7. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Lol WoodWorks! I've remembered now that peaking is near the TOP of the menu list for the same reason!!!! ;)

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The LCD features a resolution of 0,921 million pixels, the EVF has 2,36 million. This means the pixels on the LCD are far bigger. Considering Sony uses the same amount of pixels to highlight a sharp border on a screen, a higher resolving screen will show a thinner peaking line. Like I said, they could come over this issue with some simple lines of code, but as we talk about Sony, they won't do this.

9. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    It's nature's way of maintaining the balance of power in the universe... ;)

10. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Of course, silly me! :rolleyes:

;)

11. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I think every single NEX owner that I know of has witnessed this fact, yes... The 6 I had showed nearly NO peaking in the EVF, but a "shimmering" of edges. The 7 was just a tad better with slight Peaking, but the real, heavy peaking happens on the LCD. The "previous" menu position is how I tried to work around Sony's annoying UI, yes.