1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Focus or/and shutter speed issue?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by soeren, Aug 6, 2016.

1. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Browsing through my holliday shots Im a bit puzled by these, especially the first. Taken with my samyang 12mm @ guestimated f5,6-8 is and 1:320 to 1:500 second focused somewhere between 1m and infinity i find it hard to pinpoint if it's out of focus or if it's movements that makes i unsharp.

DSC06805.JPG DSC06816.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Take a really close look at the sand and see if it's out of focus and that should tell you.
    I'm betting it's the movement/speed of the jumper.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Thanks. I suspected it was so but wasn't sure. But 1/500second is after all a pretty fast shutter speed so..........

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great moments, its ok to have a bit of motion in shots like this.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    In shot #2 his eyeglasses are sharp enough for this motion photo. I suspect his arms and legs were moving while in air (assuming he is not levitating). When I want to stop motion I go for the 1/1000 - 1/8000 sec range even if that requires a relatively high ISO to find an aperture with enough DOF to cover the moving object.

But I agree with Dave that some motion blur works well for people-in-motion images.

I really like #2.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    1/500 sec. I've found, to be still not fast enough to freeze action with sharpness. From the shots, the boy must have been close to the 12mm, thus his rate of speed traversing the frame is what matters.
    Agree that #2 came out well, with enough sharpness at his face, but blurring to give a sense of jumping off the dune.

• Informative Informative x 1