• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

FOCUS HOLD BUTTON - PLACEMENT

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
My 70-200mm f/4G and 85mm f/1.8 as well as my 70-350mm f/4.5-5.6G lenses are all equipped with focus hold buttons which can be reprogrammed for many uses such as AF - on/off. The 70-200mm lens is equipped with three buttons situated around the lens barrel while the other two lenses have only a single button each. The single button is no problem when shooting in the horizontal camera position but, poses a bit of a problem when the camera is tilted into the portrait position. The lenses with the single button end up with that button on the bottom (especially when using a battery grip). This is certainly not the most convenient position for a steady hold...

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I have only one lens with such a button. I program it to eye-auto-focus (a6500, not full-time) but I also use AF/MF, on the camera, for the lenses without a button. I get confused, sometimes pressing both at once.

Do you hold your camera in the "right" ways, that you probably learned and have in muscle memory since youth. With Sonys, maybe I'm better off having forgotten that discipline. I do find they need finger yoga sometimes!

I think, that for portrait, I hold my a6500 "upside down." Shutter hand is supposed to be on top? I keep it at the bottom. That brings that lens button to the "top," which does work better for me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom