1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Focus Help

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jazzer, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    There have been a couple of posts lately about focus issues, but I didn't want to hijack, so I'm starting a separate thread. I was hoping some of you may have some tips to help me get more consistently sharp photos, specifically of people. This last weekend I attended a two day family event and was taking many photos of people, some candid, some posed. The first night was in a very dim restaurant, which is always a challenge. I used the 35/1.8, but still found it necessary to experiment with the flash, which I did with mixed results. The second day an event was held outside in overcast conditions and I used the 55-210. I got some really sharp photos, a few where focus seemed to be on the wrong object (e.g., a plant behind or to the side of the subjects) and some where the focus was reasonably correct but too soft.

I analyzed the Exif data and sometimes I could tell the problem was probably subject movement and not a high enough shutter speed and perhaps camera shake, but sometimes it just wasn't clear to me. For what it's worth, I have the auto focus assist light turned off and was using flexible spot focus with the box fixed in the center (using half-press and recompose where necessary).

Any thoughts about how I can practice or things to try to obtain more consistent focus would be helpful.