Focus Help

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jazzer, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    There have been a couple of posts lately about focus issues, but I didn't want to hijack, so I'm starting a separate thread. I was hoping some of you may have some tips to help me get more consistently sharp photos, specifically of people. This last weekend I attended a two day family event and was taking many photos of people, some candid, some posed. The first night was in a very dim restaurant, which is always a challenge. I used the 35/1.8, but still found it necessary to experiment with the flash, which I did with mixed results. The second day an event was held outside in overcast conditions and I used the 55-210. I got some really sharp photos, a few where focus seemed to be on the wrong object (e.g., a plant behind or to the side of the subjects) and some where the focus was reasonably correct but too soft.

I analyzed the Exif data and sometimes I could tell the problem was probably subject movement and not a high enough shutter speed and perhaps camera shake, but sometimes it just wasn't clear to me. For what it's worth, I have the auto focus assist light turned off and was using flexible spot focus with the box fixed in the center (using half-press and recompose where necessary).

Any thoughts about how I can practice or things to try to obtain more consistent focus would be helpful.