Focal reducers ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Amamba, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I am planing a trip to Europe next year, most likely Prague.

I'd like to get something better than my 16+UWA.

10-18 is probably out of the question, and I am not yet sure about Rokinon.

I was thinking of perhaps getting a focal reducer and bringing my Kiron 28/2. It's a superbly sharp lens.

However, all focal reducers I found so far seem to be .72, which would make it a 20mm lens. I think that's going to be too narrow for these European streets ?

Are there any decent reducers with bigger reduction ratios ?

2. Sympa

Sympa TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 19, 2015
    No, the reducers cannot make the lens any wider than it was. And 28 is reasonable on 35mm, but not so wide of APS-C. The focal reducer will bring it back to 'reasonable wide' again. But the 16 mm without adapter already is like 24mm on 35mm. And you have the UWA - is the UWA not wide enough, not sharp enough, or not bright enough?
    I use the Canon 10-18mm on an adaptor. Seems a fine lens, but not overly bright. The Sony 10-18 is better, but the Canon is much better value, even with a $35 smart adapter included. You need a smart adapter or you cannot focus the lens. Autofocus can work but often does not on this cheap adapter.

3. RnR

RnR TalkEmount Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Yes, Metabones makes the XL Speedbooster, but only for m43. So that won't help you unfortunately :(

4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I think if you reduced any more than a standard metabones speed booster you would end up with too much vignetting. You wouldn't have enough coverage for the APSC sensor.

I do recommend a speed booster though, especially if you have a decent collection of lenses in one mount (and I can see by your signature you do). If you get a decent quality optic (can't speak for the cheapies, I decided to go for a legit metabones one) your image quality actually improves. I see noticably better resolution and contrast, don't use any of my Minolta lenses without it any more.

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    28mm wasn't wide enough when shooting film for me with old cities (Tallinn). I purchased Samyang 12mm for that but haven't had a choice to use it there but it worked nicely in Budapest. I have never been in Prague but I imagine it has pretty narrow streets too. Anyway one lens is too few, I will pack Samyang 12mm, Sigma 19 mm, Olympus 24mm for my next trip (if I will have time for travelling) to Tallinn.

6. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I used to have Sigma 19 and to be honest wasn't very impressed with it, yes it was sharp enough but I would get better results with my manual lenses. I think part of the reason was the crappy manual focus ring. Sigma 30 has the same crappy ring but is sharper overall. In the end, nothing beats good MF as long as your subject doesn't move. Still, getting that Sigma again is an option, they're not expensive.

16+UWA can produce good results, but it can also produce poor results esp in the corners. It's a good combination overall, and I am definitely going to bring it, but I wanted something better for this trip without spending tons of money. Some of the absolutely best, sharpest city shots I've ever had were done with Minolta 50/1.7 (was in Chicago with a busted AF on my old camera and that was the only manual focus lens I had with me). So for the city shots, I think MF is the best approach.

I also looked at Rokinon 12/2 but I am finding very conflicting reviews, some people say it's great and some are having problems with soft corners, seems that there's quite a bit of sample variance.

So, .72 adapter on my 28mm will make it into a 20 mm lens, perhaps that's the best way to spend my money ? I could then use it on all of my other Minolta MD lenses, vs getting the 19/2.8 which I would rarely use after that trip.

How narrow is 20mm for a city like Prague ?Looking on Flickr I was surprised to see quite a few Prague landscapes done with tele lenses.

Also, is there a cheaper focal reducer adapter that is still good quality ? Zhonguy seems to be getting pretty good reviews. What about Pixco ?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  7. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Of course I may just get into panorama stitching... never really tried this.

8. RnR

RnR TalkEmount Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    IMHO if you are worried about the Rokinon having soft corners, a cheap focal reducer should not be on your shopping list.

9. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Panorama stitching is awesome, easier to do now than ever. I like the results better than ultra wide angle lenses, which tend to make distant objects look too small

10. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    What software do you use for stitching ?

11. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    I prefer to use lightroom stiching, just because I'm using lightroom anyway and when you get everything right in camera it works really well. Lightroom stitching works with the raw files unlike standalone stitching software.

I have come across a few things that lightroom couldn't do, that photoshop could. Photoshop can even do stitch panoramas with film photos, lightroom fails on that. And photoshop can allow you to do content aware fill for areas that end up outside the crop, so sometimes it makes more sense.