1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Focal Length for in home shooting,

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Jan 13, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I am looking for a compact lense for in home shooting. Especially my newborn family moments, portraits and activity in house.

Thus I wanted to ask which focal length you think is suitable for this kind of photoshooting. I wanted to buy an affordable compact one and thus I will not have any zoom but only a constant focal length

What is your take?
    Alex

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    a (preferably fast) 50mm legacy MF lens is ideal ;)

3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    For indoor use 50 is a little tight, I'd chose a 35mm. Unless you want to shell out for the new SEL35/1.8, you can always buy cheap manual lens, like an OM with adapter, or Konica 40/1.8. Personally my most used lens inside is the insanely good PEN F 38/1.8. It's a bit more expensive (about 250$ for the lens only) but the adapter is super thin and the whole thing makes a tiny package. It's crazy sharp wide open, and really has nothing to lose optically to any modern lens.

4. toddlange1

toddlange1 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 22, 2012
    Eagan, MN, USA
    Great bokeh can be achieved with the Sony NEX cameras with their APS-C sized sensor when mated with a larger aperture lens. I've recently picked up a number of inexpensive prime lenses (35mm,40mm,50mm) Konica Hexanon manual focus prime lenses and a $20 adapter. The 50mm Konica Hexanon prime lens is very common and gives very sharp images with nice bokeh. It's a very nice portrait lens. I've seen it for $20 on ebay and craigslist.

-----
    Todd

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Affordable, no problem.

Compact, problem. At least potentially. While many manual focus slr lenses are not all that large, when you add the adapter to fit them to a NEX body their size can double making them no longer very compact.

Without spending a ton of money I'd suggest picking up a Industar 69 with a L39-NEX adapter. The lenses are very inexpensive, they are very small and they take a decent picture. See Freddytto's pics with this lens for examples.

Rangefinder lenses are, generally speaking, smaller than their slr counterparts for a given focal length/aperture. They also tend to cost more. I use Voigtlander rangefinder lenses with good results.

If you need auto focus I would say that at this point in time you would be well served with the Sigma 30mm for your stated shooting scenario.

It all comes down to how small you want/need a lens to be and how much money you are willing to spend to get one. :)

6. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I like the Konica Hex 40/1.8. If you have large indoor space then 50mm is a great focal length for portrait. But if space is minimal then 35-40mm is probably bests

7. cybertron

cybertron TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2012
    Michael Widegren
    I bought the Sigma 30/2.8, I find it a great lens!! it is on most of the time now (and when I am outdoors needing zoom I have the 55-210)
    The sigma is perfect in terms of focal length for indoor use, atleast for me.

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks a lot. I think to also go for the Sigma as auto focusing is always great. As the crop is 1.5x that would mean a focal distance of 45mm is that true? Hmm.. on a second though that might be a bit tough for indoor action.

Alex

9. cybertron

Dec 29, 2012
    Michael Widegren
    you are right, the 30 has the equivalent of a 45mm, but the 50mm (discussed above) is around 75mm I find it perfect for both portraits and indoor "action".
    (i could probably go to a 35-40mm as well and be happy, but a 50 is to long for me atleast)

Sigma does do a 19/2.8 that is considered very good (same price as the 30) but it is mostly made for landscape (correct me if I am wrong?) and you have almost no gain towards the kit-lens (18-55)

10. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    I also vote for the Sigma 30. I don't think 45mm is going to be too tight indoors, and going wider will drive up your price and start to distort close up portraits (nobody likes how their face looks close up with a wide angle!).

11. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    I like the standard FOV. 30-35mm should work well with a NEX indoors.

12. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    don't mistake the focal field of view with the reach of the lens.
    a 50mm full frame and a 50mm crop field of view frame render the subject exactly the same size on the sensor, the only difference is the field of view.
    ie if you take 2 photos one full frame and one crop frame from a tripod the same distance etc. , if you crop the full frame until it is the size of the crop frame the subject will be exactly the same size on both,you only lose some of the background from the full frame. A crop frame does not increase subject size or reach of the lens, but gives less of a field of view

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have a 45mm that I love, but the distance from the subject often is a bit limiting.

With the 28mm I can get a bit more intimate.

14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Forget "action" altogether with the Sigma, lol. It focuses as quick as grass grows (in the winter) ;)

15. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    So, what is your take then ? :)

16. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    +1
    I really like my Sigma 30mm for this, especially when my better half also wants to do some pics.
    If you're not used to MF as we are atm cause my Rokkor 50 1.4 is quite new, than the AF of the Sigma is fast enough I think. Be sure to deactivate the mechanical shutter in the menu to fasten things up!
    Or I use the 16F28 if I want to show more than portraits....

17. cybertron

Dec 29, 2012
    Michael Widegren
    I do not agree, my sigma focuses as quickly (or slowly) as any other lens on my Nex, that said, my manual focusing skills is alot worse than the AF is...I am not quick enough to catch moving targets with manually although stationary targets are quite ok :D

Then again, moving targets indoors with the Nex is not it's strong side :/ but it is possible! But perhaps not running kids :D
    2013-01-12 at 14-11-47.

18. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I shoot all manual lenses on the NEX, because, as Kevin (Dixeyk) once brilliantly put it, NEX AF is a mass hallucination, lol (I personally call it "placebo effect" AF). Opinions vary on this and some folks are content, or even happy with it, but to me NEX AF speed is just a rather lame joke. I'm usually quicker manually focusing with Peaking. So my favorite lens is the old Olympus PEN F 38/1.8, usually wide open or stopped down to F2. It's fast, has tons of personality and is VERY sharp, even wide open. Plus it's tiny and has a very slim adapter. I'll never part with this lens (coming from a compulsive buyer/seller, that says a lot).

19. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    7e0f36ec4cc1f8e1d076b808291dcba3_ee8.

Focused intentionally on the leaping puppy...

20. cybertron

Dec 29, 2012
    Michael Widegren
    That is one very cool picture!! I would never been able to do that without AF. that is just amazing :D