1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Focal 28mm f/2.8 problems or maybe just me.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ErickSaint, Jul 7, 2013.

1. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    So I got this lens along with some other stuff a couple weeks ago. Most I can gather is that they were made for Kmart by other companies, similar to the way Vivitar lenses were manufactured and rebranded. It just seems to me like I get more soft, almost fuzzy out of focus shots, than good shots. Don't get me wrong, I have gotten a few good shots with it, just nothing truly great.

These shots were all taken at f5.6 in aperture priority. Admittedly I did not use MF assist on any of these shots, just going off of the on screen peaking as I do with my Rokkors or any other MF lens. Any suggestions? Or do I just chalk it up as a poor quality lens?

In both of these shots I had pretty much the entire screen lit up with peaking (set to mid/yellow) including the writing on the sign. These were loaded on Flickr so you can click to see in full size.

9237121720_f4c70fc103_c.jpg
    DSC01170 by ericksaint, on Flickr

9237115668_fee54f69fe_c.jpg
    DSC01182 by ericksaint, on Flickr

In these shots I was specifically aiming to focus on the sign posts and had peaking showing that when I took the shots. Though the cave shot seems to be drawing focus on the tree near the center of the frame.

9234316517_9ba496958b_c.jpg
    DSC01203 by ericksaint, on Flickr

9237107776_48d3362520_c.jpg
    DSC01190 by ericksaint, on Flickr

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'd say use the magnify and check if the focus is any better
    I have this issue with some of my lenses (when relaying on just the LCD peaking feature) but mainly on the zoom lenses...

3. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    It looks like a soft lens and, probably, peaking doesn't work too well with it.

4. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I'll give it some more time later on, closer to home. I drove 2 hours each way to that hiking spot and was kind of bummed with most of the shots. I dont go loaded with gear, usually only a lens or two.

Part of the reason for not using the assist was simply that the gnats were so miserable. I was walking with a known swarm around my head about 6 inches behind me, every time I stopped to look at a map or snap some pictures I would get fogged out. At one point a quick count was at least 15-20 just on my camera alone.

The shot above were straight from the camera, the one below was one of the better shots, slight PP to bring out the color a bit. But it was reasonably sharp, well sharper than the above examples.

9244056028_7bc6d2aa1a_c.jpg
    DSC01211 by ericksaint, on Flickr

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Have you considered a loose element. It looks like one is getting ajar sometimes when you focus.
    Most of the lower line makers back in the day probably didn't use Canada Balsam so who knows what on earth they used.

6. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    I'd definitely tap the screen on whatever you are wanting to focus on, making the camera zoom on that area, and then focus. Focus assist is nice but sadly often still requires zooming in.

7. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Thanks for the tips, I'll try a few things next time out. Just took me off guard, with my Rokkors, if I get a well lit up peak indicator it's usually always a good shot.

Sad thing is this lens, and the other Focal I got in the deal look almost brand new. The Rokkor 50mm f/1.4 was dropped, has a slight flat spot on the filter ring, but optically very sound. Though I haven't really put it through it's paces yet.

8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I once had a very disappointing focus peaking fail under conditions like that (mid-afternoon under a forest canopy).

If I can see the highlights sweeping in an obvious focus zone arc through the image area then I sometimes trust peaking. But most of the time, I use MF assist to make SURE. It's become a reflex for me now when I shoot with my NEX-7 - doesn't seem to slow me down too bad.

9. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Yeah, this is how I do it too. Once you start doing it it becomes second nature.

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    On a similar note, using the MF assist function on the 1st gen Nex-5 is very unconvinient IMHO - especially with long FL lenses...

11. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Guess I'll just have to start trying to make it a habit, especially when going that far for the hike. I have a 5N, so there really is no reason not to, just a tap of the screen. But like I said the bugs were so bad my patience was being tested just on my walk, very bad when stopped.