• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Flowers

TedG954

Super Moderator
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf
It is a Teasels Honeysuckle family. The Cut-leaf Teasel has white flower where as the Fullers Teasel has a lavender flower.
7-21-20 Brecksville Bridges   6.jpg
ILCE-7RM2    FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS    105mm    f/16.0    1/125s    ISO 250

ILCE-7RM2    ---    105mm    f/16.0    1/125s    ISO 400

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I used a bing tool to identify a plant using your image, which linked to a wikipedia article on what appears to be the plant in your photo.

"Dipsacus laciniatus is a species of flowering plant in the honeysuckle family known by the common name cutleaf teasel. It is native to Europe and Asia. It is present in North America as an introduced species and invasive weed."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipsacus_laciniatus

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I used a bing tool to identify a plant using your image, which linked to a wikipedia article on what appears to be the plant in your photo.

"Dipsacus laciniatus is a species of flowering plant in the honeysuckle family known by the common name cutleaf teasel. It is native to Europe and Asia. It is present in North America as an introduced species and invasive weed."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipsacus_laciniatus
I was going to ask Ted if people grew those as 'flowers' in Ohio. Out here we'd consider it a weed I'm afraid. Well, not actually afraid, it's what we do call it.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
My high school biology teacher taught us the definition of a weed is a plant that grows where you do not want it to grow.

The wikipedia article on the above plant, for what it's worth, called it an "invasive weed", so in most cases I would think people do not grow it on purpose. Although in my area, there are some weeds that for whatever reasons became something people started planting intentionally. Echinacea, purple loosestrife, and others. And of course there is that "weed" that used to be downright illegal in the US and now is everywhere and quite intentionally so. 😉

TedG954

Super Moderator
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf
I was going to ask Ted if people grew those as 'flowers' in Ohio. Out here we'd consider it a weed I'm afraid. Well, not actually afraid, it's what we do call it.
Pretty sure they're weeds here too. These were along the side of a road. The cylindrical shape is what was strange, to me.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Talking about weed(s), I can remember visiting a friend of mine that I've known for almost 50 years now. He lived in Missouri and his dad had an air strip on his 'farm' for his airplanes. That summer I went out to Missouri and we got to mow the strip. For me it was a lot of fun, being out on the tractor just goin' up and down the strip. The 'weeds' at the sides of it were mostly 'weed', and there was a lot of it too. If it had been in CA at the time it would have been raided by the ATF or DEA I'm sure. Out there in Missouri, it was just another weed to be dealt with when it got in the way of good crops.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
The first photo is morning glories, but I took them in the afternoon so they had already closed up.

The second we call Johnny Jump Ups around here. I guess they are a wild pansy brought from somewhere overseas and unleashed upon the unsuspecting flora of North America. Or so I read.

View attachment 1113242020.07.21_16.34.24_DSC0718 by Bob Davis, on Flickr

View attachment 1113252020.07.21_16.39.09_DSC0724 by Bob Davis, on Flickr
It looks like you've got some mighty big ANTS there.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Talking about weed(s), I can remember visiting a friend of mine that I've known for almost 50 years now. He lived in Missouri and his dad had an air strip on his 'farm' for his airplanes. That summer I went out to Missouri and we got to mow the strip. For me it was a lot of fun, being out on the tractor just goin' up and down the strip. The 'weeds' at the sides of it were mostly 'weed', and there was a lot of it too. If it had been in CA at the time it would have been raided by the ATF or DEA I'm sure. Out there in Missouri, it was just another weed to be dealt with when it got in the way of good crops.
It grows wild around here also, though not as much as it used to I guess. I have heard the THC content is so low - particularly compared to current cannabis - that no one would actually bother with the wild stuff.

It looks like you've got some mighty big ANTS there.
They are not really that big, it is just that the flowers are so small, an inch / 25mm or less across.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
My contribution for the day.
ILCE-7M3       105mm    f/5.6    1/125s    ISO 100

Perfectly dull grey gloomy day here so far. Doubt we'll see the sun until after 2PM or so today.

cheeks69

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
ILCE-7M2    ----       f/1.0    1/1600s    ISO 100

Top Bottom