• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Flowers from the Garden of Hope

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Was up in Lebanon NH at a medical center, and found a few flowers in the Garden of Hope that I liked...

20120517 Flower-1.jpg
   ---            

20120517 Flower-2.jpg
   ---            

20120517 Flower-3.jpg
   ---            

20120517 Flower-4.jpg
   ---            

All shot with the 18-55 kit lens

Bolampau

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Hi DBMiller,
I really like the colours and strong shapes in the second two shots.

As Dioptrick says the electrical box spoils the 2nd shot but you could crop the box out and Photoshop the wire trunking.
Cheers,
Paul

Bolampau

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Correction: I really like the colours and strong shapes in the LAST two shots i.e. shots 3 and 4.

Sorry, I can't count!
Cheers,
Paul

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Yeah - Didn't notice the electrical box when I took the shot - Didn't have much time and quickly got the flowers framed a little wider than shown here. So I already cropped once, but left the original image ratio. I agree that taking bringing the top down would help, and doing the PS work to get rid of the trunking.

Will do that when I get a chance and post an update.

The last two were just beautifully bloomed flowers and begged for the front on (Or top down :D) shot. Both got cropped 1:1 to isolate the flower - On the 3rd, my wife had to hold the flower so it faced the camera. On the other, the sides were just distracting. Did a small contrast boost on both in LR. Then had to recover the highlights in the 3rd pic, and then lower the red saturation in the 4th pic as the detail got lost with the contrast boost.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Photoshopped Version

Brought the top-left in under the bottom of the electrical box, which also cut out one flower on the left. Kept the original 3:2 ratio.

Various healing and cloning tools later...

20120517 Flower-2b.jpg
   ---            

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Nicely done... lovely!

That dark shadow on the top right and that sunlit area on the left is creating a wonderful sense of dimension with this composition. Without these two aspects, the photo would look really flat. I just love the way it does that... fascinating!

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
very good photos mate, I love the 2 last , great color, sharpness and contrast, is very good, on the penultimate photo is great, l mean l feel too much happiness, the kit is very good despite the bad reviews ...

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Was back up at the garden yesterday. Decided to shoot a couple shots with my Canon LTM 50mm/1.8 lens on the Hawk's helicoid.

Tried some close-ups, but narrow DoF made most of them non-keepers. I did like a shot of a statue at normal distances. Nice bokeh at f/1.8, and f/8 for comparison...

20121006 Garden of Hope-1.jpg
   ---            

20121006 Garden of Hope-2.jpg
   ---            

Latest threads

Top Bottom