1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flickr / Yahoo breach

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bdbits, Sep 22, 2016.

1. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    If you haven't heard, 500 million Yahoo logins from 2014 were stolen by... someone, it is somewhat unclear exactly who.

I mention it here because if you use Flickr, you have a Yahoo login. You probably should change your password for Flickr/Yahoo, as a precaution.

If you use the same login and/or password on other popular sites, it would probably be a good idea to change it there, too, since this miscreants will often try to use the logins on other popular sites to gain further information on you.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    They claim it happened back in 2014. Two years have passed since then....damage has been done.

3. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I agree, but they are (or were) still selling them on the dark net. At least that was my impression, so someone may still be trying to use them including against other sites. And I know people that never change their passwords, so... I thought I would let people know who might not think about it. That's all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    It was near midnight when I read this, tired, and the 2014 didn't register in my mind.
    Googling it I saw some very current posting headlines about it too.
    So without reading the detail I went ahead and changed PW's.
    The good news is I routinely change all passwords twice a year so mine were changed a few times since this hack actually happened...but thanks for mentioning it anyway, better safe than sorry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Oh man, I hate changing passwords - I always forget them afterwards :D

But this sounds serious so I better do it

6. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    Use 2 Factor Auth when available!

Still, cant hurt to review your passwords every now and then.

• Like Like x 1
  7. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I must have a couple dozen online accounts for everything from various banks, social security, Email, Facebook, Flickr, PayPal, Amazon, etc...and paying various bills online for all the different utilities, Insurance, etc...can't possibly keep up with all the ID's and passwords as they're all different.
    I keep an Excel spreadsheet listing on a pair of Flash Drives...one in a fireproof safe here at the house, and the other offsite in my bank safe deposit box...I keep none of them on my laptop for obvious reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The consideration was much appreciated. My critical tone was towards Yahoo, releasing this announcement now. I got their email last night.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I did some googling and it seems that those who were affected were send a notification from Yahoo to change their passwords. I didn't get one (so I assumed I was not affected) but went ahead and change my passwords just in case. As @roundball@roundball said: "better safe than sorry" :)

10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If you're on a Mac, you may want to check out 1Password. You only have to remember one password, and the app, which works with both MacOS and iOS devices, will create long, gibberish passwords for all of your logins and will auto-fill them in for you. I've been using it for several years now, and it has worked flawlessly. No relation to the developers, etc. etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. rbelyell

rbelyell TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2015
    these guys have some freaking nerve just telling us about this NOW and acting like they are both looking out for their customers and are mitigating the damage. what total and utter horse#%^. i was so angry when i read this i verily turned purple. i sent them a reply that hopefully turned them purple in return.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I have been using Splash ID since my Windows days. The newer versions are the same idea as 1Password, I believe, and work on Windows or Mac. I have an older version and I fill in the passwords manually, but the app will generate passwords of all different complexity and keeps them encrypted. I have it on my iPad and it syncs to my computer. It works just fine, but I have considered switching over to 1Password for some time. Only problem is that I probably have a couple of hundred passwords at this point and I'm not sure how to get all that info over to a new app. easily :confused-69:

13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sorry, I can't help you there. But my guess is that they've got a simple way of doing that. I was a Splash ID user back in the cretaceous era, when I was still using a Palm Treo. So I haven't kept up with Splash ID's development. But how anyone manages passwords these days without some some of password manager is a mystery to me. :hmmm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Some people I know use DashLane, LastPass, or KeePass (which is open source).

If you use Firefox, you can have it store passwords for you, optionally encrypted with a master password, and optionally synced everywhere you use Firefox.

15. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Regular

May 21, 2016
    randy
    Yep. Same here. Even bought it for Windows for my work computer... not sure if they still make a Windows version, but it's an invaluable tool these days.