1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

flickr got acquired by SmugMug!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WNG, Apr 20, 2018.

1. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I wonder how this is going to shake up the flickr users experience? End of 1 TB of free storage?
    Maybe it's a good thing to not be part of Yahoo-Verizon.

Together, SmugMug+Flickr

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Well I have an account with both. My best guess is they let Flick go on as is but try to "upgrade" you to Smugmug. Smugmug is more suited if you want your own profile and customized photo sharing, storage and sales site.

Interesting development.

3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    That probably explains why some of the flikr images I've directly linked to don't work any more :( 

• Sad Sad x 1
  4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Legend

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just my .02 cents of course, but I'd be surprised if that was the case simply from the announcement of the acquisition...and it would be a PR nightmare for smug-mug if they literally made unannounced changes that would have caused that.

FWIW, I only used Flickr for hosting images to various Forums I participated in and the good news for me is that over the past couple years, those Forums have upgraded their software...the last one just upgrading in March...so now I just make direct uploads to all of them and no longer have a dependency on any 3rd party hosting site like Flickr.

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Note, a 'feature' or 'bug' with flickr links is that if you ever alter a photo's permissions (public/friends/family/private), the previous links will break as their database generates new file names for the assorted sizes of that photo. So, old direct links point to an unknown file now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I suppose I should wait and see, but these mergers usually don't work out well for at least one customer base. Better for Flickr than being owned by Verizon though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I only use Flickr to create private web albums for clients and as a backup storage for those images.

8. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I have both. I have too many image publishing accounts, honestly.

9. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Like roundball, I use Flickr to upload to this forum and a few others. My attempts to upload directly from my Mac have not been successful so if the merger requires me to pay my participation may be reduced.

10. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    What I read is that Flickr users have until late May 2018 (May 28 I seem to remember) to download all their images and then delete their account, otherwise they will automatically be transferred to Smugmug and subject to Smugmug's terms and conditions. IOW, doing nothing automatically enrolls you in Smugmug.

11. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    I just read the FAQ Together, SmugMug + Flickr | Frequently Asked Questions section on Flickr

I thought all was good until I read the I got an email asking me to to accept SmugMug terms FAQ

What will happen to my Flickr account? What will happen to my Smugmug account?

Absolutely nothing. Flickr and SmugMug will continue to operate separately, just as both have been. Your SmugMug and Flickr accounts will remain separate and independent for the foreseeable future.

Both Flickr and SmugMug users will continue to log in with their current credentials and you will have the same experience you are used to. If things do change in the future for Flickr, we’ll be as transparent as possible about the process and give you as much notice as we can about the issues that will matter to you.

Will anything happen to my photos? Will they be moved?

No, you’ll still be able to access your photos as you do currently and they’ll retain the same Flickr or SmugMug URL as always. Over time, we’ll be migrating Flickr onto SmugMug’s technology infrastructure, and your Flickr photos will move as a part of this migration—but the photos themselves will remain on Flickr.

Will Flickr continue to offer a free version? Will Flickr’s price change?

Absolutely. Flickr’s free accounts are foundational to its community of influential and engaged photographers. We are not making any changes to Flickr plans or rates at this time. We’ll let Flickr Pro customers know if that changes.

Will my Flickr Pro subscription change?

Nope! You’ll remain a Flickr Pro member and continue to enjoy all the benefits of a Pro membership.

What immediate changes can we expect on Flickr or SmugMug services as a result of the deal?

We don’t have any plans for immediate changes. If we make any changes, we’re going to make sure the changes are for the better. We’ll make sure to involve our loyal customers in the process as we grow both SmugMug and Flickr. Have no worries, Flickr will stay Flickr and SmugMug will stay SmugMug, but together both will get even better.

We look forward to finding opportunities to improve both the SmugMug and Flickr experiences, companies and products. For updates please stand by.

What’s SmugMug’s vision for the combined businesses?

SmugMug and Flickr represent the world’s most influential community of photographers, and there is strength in numbers. We want to provide photographers with both inspiration and the tools they need to tell their stories. We want to bring excitement and energy to inspire more photographers to share their perspective. And we want to be a welcome place for all photographers: hobbyist to archivist to professional.

I got an email asking me to accept SmugMug’s Terms of Service. Do I have to?

As part of the acquisition, all Flickr accounts will eventually move to SmugMug’s Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Starting from the date when the service email was sent, you will have 30 days to either accept their Terms or opt out. If you do nothing in that time, your account will simply transition from the current Yahoo Terms of Service to SmugMug’s Terms. If you don’t want to make this change, you can delete your Flickr account from your Account Settings page. If you want to preserve a copy of your photos, be sure to download them from the Camera Roll first.

We encourage you to read SmugMug’s Terms in detail, as you would with any site where you host your photos. It is worth noting that SmugMug has prided itself on having very photographer-friendly Terms without some of the standard verbiage and licenses that many platforms grant themselves to use your data in a way that best suits them. This is one of the reasons Flickr was thrilled to have found a new home at SmugMug.

Perhaps I'm wrong but my sense is by accepting the terms of SmugMug, one must enroll on one of their plans with eliminates free access.

12. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I hadn't changed permissions or anything. But I also just rechecked a couple of posts where the linked had stopped working, and they are working again. So maybe there was some "maintenance" where the URL they gave me was temporarily unavailable.

13. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    Hmm, last night I saw this on PhotoRumors...

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 10.43.46 AM.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Whatever of the articles are correct, my sense is in the end we will be required to purchase a plan.

I use Amazon Prime, as well as a local external HD, to backup my photos but I believe they do not support the Sony ARW extension so that is not an option. Not sure about Google photos.

15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I just tried to read through the legal-eze of Smug-Mug's "Terms & Conditions".
    One the one hand hand they struck me a very heavy-handed.
    On the other hand, I have to admit I never read Flickr's Terms & Conditions with as much attention so it may be similar boiler-plate.

Anyone else know for sure?

16. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    I don't remember what was in the Flickr Terms and Conditions. I do know it did not have an associated cost.

17. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    SmugMug themselves says in the FAQ cited above they have no plans to eliminate free Flickr accounts. The deadline appears to apply to acceptance of the TOS and your account now being under SmugMug governance, and that Flickr will keep working like it does today for the forseeable future. If you don't want to be under SmugMug's terms, then you need to delete the account by May 28th, otherwise things will continue to work and cost the same as before, including free accounts, for now anyway.

18. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    Not sure about that - they said you need to d/l your images from Flickr before May 25 (I mistakenly said May 28 in an earlier post). That implies they plan to close Flickr/free accounts on or after that date.

19. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's not what I've read. You only have to download your Flickr pictures if you do not accept the Smugmug Terms instead of the Flickr terms. This FAQ informs on what is going to change:
    Together, SmugMug + Flickr | Frequently Asked Questions
    Also Smugmug states that free Flickr accounts will remain "at this time", they're not planning to close Flickr accounts after May 28 as I read it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    That was my take on it as well...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.