1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flashgun choices for NEX 6

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Orange, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Hi guys. More questions! ...

Can anyone offer some suggestions for a suitable flashgun for the NEX 6 (standard hot-shoe) with the following criteria, listed in this manner to make it easy for posters to answer any relevant questions! ...

1. Must have tilt/swivel
    2. Must offer manual control but compatible with metering in aperture priority (this is possible, right?)
    3. Gotta be cheap and probably 2nd hand, manufacturer not important, say under £50 if possible??
    4. Not excessively big so it looks ridiculous or feels cumbersome on a NEX body
    5. VOLTAGE, contacts blah blah blah!? There's only 3 contacts on the NEX-6 hot-shoe, whereas some flashes have 5 contacts, is this an issue in terms of voltage, compatibility, possible damage to my beloved camera?

If I think of any more questions I have more numbers available on my keyboard lol!
    Also comments welcome on anything else I may need to consider for a suitable flashgun. I've done some research but as I'm not a flash expert, there's just too much information about flashes, and not enough information about NEX 6-suitable flashes!

Cheers everyone I know you'll all help if you can, love this forum & wanted to make my 100th post a decent one! ;)

2. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Get Sony's ADP-MAA adapter ($25) and a shop for a used HVL-F43AM. Works great on mine.

Hmmm... wait. That's only $80USD. Probably a Metz and the adapter would be closest. Still tough though.

Don't forget the Vivitar 283/285 made a lot of photogs a lot of money.

3. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    That kinda dismisses points 3 & 4, you rebel! :p

4. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Damn, I shoulda titled this thread Legacy Flash hahaha!

5. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    I also have the adapter ADP-MAA and use the Metz 50 AF1, works perfectly. Only what imbalance, the Flash is almost as heavy as the camera. And also not in accordance with point 3 and 4:D

6. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Thanks, but again, price is too high after a quick google search!

7. Derichuk

Derichuk TalkEmount Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Deric
    I believe the only flash that offers ttl metering without an adapter is the new Hvlf60m; not used, out of your price range, and would look excessively big on your Nex-6. Furthermore, your hot shoe has many more than three connections if you check under the front lip. This is Sony's new multi-interface shoe so all of their new flashes should come out in this standard; which is what I am currently waiting for. Now, I would be wary of pre-digital flashes as I have been told that they are not properly insulated from the camera and when the capacitors discharge it could fry the camera. Hence I will not try my Viv 285 on my Nex6. Currently I am using my Nikon speedlight on my camera until Sony offers a smaller flash with the new hot shoe. I believe your only option will be picking up a manual flash or saving up and waiting for Sony's possible next flash. I am really hoping that they announce one on the 31st at the big camera show -- that is when they are supposed to announce the Nex lineup for 2013.

Now all of this has been based on my research into a speedlight for my Nex-6. Hopefully I am wrong and someone can offer a better option.

8. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Thank you for that comprehensive answer, much appreciated!
    Just one thing, with regard to the contacts, I was referring to the 3 visible ones, (not the ones under the front lip) as modern flashes have 5 of these contacts, I think!
    Useful comments though thank you very very much!

9. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I used both a Nikon SB-600 and an Olympus FL-36 on my NEX 6. No TTL on either, but both worked perfectly in manual mode. The Olympus is incredible unintuitive (it seems to be a brand's trademark, lol) but once you figure out how the twisted Oly engineers mind (dys)function, it works just fine. It is also perfectly sized for the Nex 6, and tilts AND swivel.

10. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Both flashes I mentioned are for the digital era, so no risk of "frying" the camera, it seems ;)

11. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Thanks for those answers nianys, much appreciated. Well it seems I'm going to have to save up then to get a compatible flash, but if all that's required is a flash from the digital era, surely there must be cheaper options out there??

Failing that I will wait in hope for a fully compatible SONY model, as mentioned above by Derichuck, but I guess that would be mega-bucks too. Damn flashes they're so expensive! I'll keep searching in the meantime.

Any more suggestions anyone? ;)

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There are some manual flashes compatible with digital cameras. I have a Yongnuo YN-460 II (had two but fried one, bad quality control) and then there are Godox TT520&TT560. However I haven't been able to find small adjustable manual flash for digital cameras, these 3 are quite big. I am thinking about Metz 24 and using it as manual flash. I hope that thy will make a model for Nex C3. Tumax (Welcome to TUMAX and products|compact series) has announced a small ttl flash for digital cameras but I don't know if they will make a model for Nex models without flash skoe.

13. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    The Metz 44AF-1 works very well too.

14. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Thanks for those suggestions guys ;)