1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash triggers for a6000

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Jan 16, 2015.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    what flash triggers for the a6000 I can use that support sony but as wells as standard hot shoe (manual mode) flashes?

Any cheap flash with full manual mode?

Regards
    Alex

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that only flash transmitter working with Sony TTL are Phottix Odin:
    http://www.phottix.com/en/phottix-odin-ttl-flash-trigger-for-sony.html

It uses Sony old type shoe so you need adapters too.

For manual flashes there are lots of choices but Sony isn't making our life easier:
    https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=9617&highlight=nissin+i40

I think that it is easier to have a TTL flash for on camera work and manual system for off camera work.

YN-560 TX or RF-603 model II (first model needs a modification to work on Sony cameras) on camera and YN-560 III or IV flashes is pretty good combo. I use it with Nex 7 with adapter. These are made by Yongnuo.

Cheapest powerful manual flashes are about 40 USD (+RF-603 II 15 USD) from China (YN-560 III is about 70 USD and includes receiver for RF-603). YN-560 TX is about 40 USD. That is about 100 USD. Odins cost about 150 USD per piece and you need at least two.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Badboy

Badboy TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 24, 2014
    I have been using yn560 iv (yn560 I I) triggered and controlled with yn560 tx.

This gives full manual control of the yu560 iv from the camera via yn 560 tx.

• Like Like x 1
  4. captevo

captevo New to TalkEmount

Jan 7, 2015
    I don't have any Sony TTL Flash to test, since i don't care much for TTL
    .... but i got Pixel King for Sony with adapter.
    I can get HSS to fire with both A7 and a6000 with Godox AD360 and Roverlight.
    cumbersome with adapter, but it works.
    For manual, with no HSS, any cheap (or expensive) trigger with center pin will work.

5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    thanks guys.
    what about simple hotshoe rf triggers?
    Alex

6. ytthirteenhundred

ytthirteenhundred TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    If you just want a wireless trigger for manual flashes, Yongnuo 603II C will work (they won't transmit TTL) with one catch, flashes that are made for Sony's new hotshoe will not work on them. The center pin for Sony's flashes sits back further than most flashes and won't make contact with the center contact on the wireless triggers. So the camera sends information through the triggers, but the trigger can't make contact with the flash. If you aren't planing on using a Sony flash though, these should work fine (they are cheap and work well with my a6000). Also, you can modify a $10 hotshoe adapter to get the triggers to work with a Sony flash (see the conclusion to this thread https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=9617).

I should note that the pop up flash on the a6000 is so close to the hotshoe that you cannot use the triggers and the built in flash at the same time (they stick out too far on the sides). You can solve this by putting the trigger on backwards, but then you can't use the viewfinder. I modified mine so that it fits on sideways (the trigger sits above the viewfinder) so that I can use the built in flash, trigger, and viewfinder all at the same time. The modification is pretty easy and I can give you instructions for it if you would like.

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks guys for the answer.
    1. Can someone remind me that Yonguo flashes that have the manual output support from the body and transmits wirelessly to the flash?
    2. For the 1 can I also trigger at the same time other non yonguo flashes that will fire at a specific manual setting?
    Regards
    Alex

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    YN-560 III & IV have got internal receivers for flash triggering and about all modern manual flashes support use of external receiver. Quite many TTL flashes have usable manual settings too. For the transmitter (for Yongnuo systems) YN 560 TX is really handy as it can adjust YN-560 III & IV power levels remotely. R-603 II is somewhat cheaper to use as transmitter.

I think that I am getting pair of RF-605 next month. They are somewhat more expensive than RF-603 but provide for group function.

If you have a flash that supports manual settings a pair of RF-603 II is cheapest route to go. Cheapest manual flashes are about 40 USD and pair of RF 603 II will cost 30 USD. YN-560 III and YN-560 TX will cost something like 110 USD and YN-560 III and a RF-603 II about 85 USD. Prices are from China.

9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I am thinking for the YN-560 III but what about also triggering other flashes like a nikon one (it will be working in full manual mode)

Alex

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    You just need an extra receiver for it. A pair of RF 603 II will cost you about 30 USD so that is pretty cheap way to test if you like remote flash. Anyway 2-3 flashes is pretty often used so that money is not wasted.

11. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    can you give me a link?
    Do you say then that If I buy the
    http://www.amazon.de/Yongnuo-YN560-...TF8&qid=1421600223&sr=8-3&keywords=YN-560+III

they will be able to work with the

http://www.amazon.de/Yongnuo-RF603C...UTF8&qid=1421600219&sr=8-1&keywords=RF+603+II

I am thinking to not spend money to triggers that I might want to change later. PErhaps I can get the Yonguo triggers now that will work with all my flashes remotely and if I buy in future the Yongnuo I will be able to cointrol their power too. Does not sound like a plan?
    Alex

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, YN-560 TX will work with RF-603 II.

If you have a manual flash a pair of RF-603 II is the cheapest route but I think that YN-560 TX is much better choice as a transmitter and more future proof. It's only downsize is size.

13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks.
    btw do we order the canon version?
    I am having the standard hot shoe (a6000)

Alex

14. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Hey Alex,
    I realize that you are heading for the Yonguo route (which is fine of course) but in case that doesn't work out --I tested the Neewer PT-16gy flash trigger, paired together with a Canon 430EXii flash and it worked in manual mode with my NEX6 (also has the MIS hot shoe).

The bundles available that have multiple receivers are a bargain, I think. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Channels-Wireless-Speedlite-SpeedLite-SpeedLight/dp/B00CO2WP0U

15. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Yes, Canon version.

16. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    thanks for that.. do they also produce something similar like the Yonguo? Receiver and transmitter for adjusting setting wirelessly?

Regards
    Alex

17. ytthirteenhundred

ytthirteenhundred TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    I second using the canon version if you go with Yonguo

18. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    The yongnuo 560iv have a the same features of the 560tx built in to it you can control the other yongnuo speed lights with it

And if you have trouble using the yongnuo on your a6000 and don't want to take off the paint of the hot shoe get the Sony off camera shoe works great for me, B&H have it for good price
    (My yongnuo speed flashes are single pin)

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount