1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Flash solution for Nex 6 ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amamba, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    SOLVED: Flash solution for Nex 6 ?

I am looking for a flash solution to use with Nex 6. Don't want to spend too much as I am not going to use it often.

Nothing fancy - just need a more powerful flash that can be bounced off the ceiling or walls and used with higher sync speed than 1/160 (my understanding is that with EFC enabled this should work ?) A typical use would be kids' karate competition in a large dimly lit dojo with relatively low hanging ceiling. I don't anticipate using it off camera.

Seems my options are:

1) A large $400 Sony flash with multi-interface shoe. Not going there - way too expensive, too large.

2) HVL-F20M, $150. Relatively portable, has TTL, can be bounced in Landscape orientation. However it's only GN20 so I don't know if that's enough, plus it can't be bounced in Portrait orientation (I think). Does anyone have and use this flash, and if so what do you think ? Can you set shutter around 1/250 with it ?

3) Getting a 3rd party flash and only using it in manual mode (or the Auto mode where you dial in the ISO and aperture manually). If I go this route, I want to stay below $100, and looking for recommendations.

Thanks !

2. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    I purchased and use a Metz 24AFS and ADP-MAA adapter. This combo is compact and works as TTL.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks. I looked it up, seems nice & portable, however someone complains about not having TTL control on Nex 6.
    Also, can you set HSS on it ?

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Why do you only consider the HVL-F60M and the HVL-F20M from Sony? There's also a mid-class solution, the HVL-F43M, which is quite a nice flash. It's not small either, but works great.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    This flash is TTL with the NEX6, but does not support HSS. Unfortunately the flash units that support HSS are large and expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    It's $400, which is pretty expensive. Also, it's quite sizeable.

I mounted the HVL-F20S on my F3, and no matter what I try, I can't use sync speed above 1/160. I was under impression that an external flash could be used at higher speed with EFC on ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I have the HVL-F20M and really like it. I originally purchased it for a highly portable alternative to my HVL-F42AM on my old A500.

I have not used it much on my NEX-6 yet so I will have to check sync speeds for you. It does have a built in diffuser that provides "bounce" (there is a little dial that will switch you from "bounce" to "tele" which is just direct flash).

I have always been very pleases with the results of the 20 in the past; it was a perfect pair with the SAL5018SAM for close portraits.

The other nice thing about the 20 on the NEX-6 is that it functions as a wireless trigger for the larger Sony flashes if you decide to go that route in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks ! If it's indeed possible to use it with shutter speed above 1/160 it would work fine. I looked through my older photos and it looks like I need to be around 1/250 to freeze motion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I use a C3 and external flashes with Allacax Next transmitters. In stupid mode I can dial 1/250 s until only part of image will get flash. Don't know about 6.

This is only problem outside with fill in flash in sunny days when exposure time is short. Inside and with flash having short flash time majority of light is coming from the flash and shutter speed doesn't matter. Typically speedlites have quite short flash duration when used with reduced power. With full power it is typically about 1/250.

I use flash almost always off camera. Manual flashes are pretty cheap (just ordered Wansen unit for 32 USD+shipping, have Yongnuo 460 II and Codox TT520).

10. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Okay, just checked it out and looks like 1/160 is tops...

I do have to say that after about 5 test shots of the furry kids before bed reminds of why I keep this flash! Perfect, soft light at about 4.5 ft and 50mm @ 1/160 f/5.6. I will try and post some examples this weekend.

I was wrong on the diffusion settings. Switch for "bounce" or "direct" and then a dial/switch for "tele". Having problems attaching pics from my phone, so will try and share those this weekend too...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gandalf

Gandalf TalkEmount Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    Consider getting a pair of Cactus V5 wireless triggers, and a Yongnuo 560-series flash. It will cost more than $100, but not a whole lot more. TTL flash is way over rated IMO; it doesn't do anything you can't do yourself if you take time to think it through...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, I just bought a Minolta 3600 HS D flash that I hope to be able to use with an adapter - I saw people were using it with Nex 7. Worst case, it will work with my KM7D.

Now the question... I understand I need an ADP-MAA (I think) adapter. Do I need anything else to use it on-camera ?

13. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    OK, so the flash arrived, and the adapter showed up from Amazon on same day.

And, of course, I'm out of AA batteries, and my rechargeables weren't recharged ;) So I had to steal some batteries from my kids' toys.

I am happy to report that flash works great. And High Speed sync works, which is most important. There's no manual control of output, but that's not a biggie. I am able to takevflash photos at 1/500 ;). Of course this is in direct mode only - it doesn't support HSS in bounce mode, but there are ways around it if needed.

Another good news is that while this flash is about the same size as Canon 430EX, it's quite a bit lighter. So it doesn't feel grossly unbalanced on my Nex 6.

About the only issue is that there's a bit of play between flash and adapter - it's locked in, and connection is good, but it can rock a bit back & forth. Don't know if that's normal or if the flash mount is worn a bit.

This was taken at 1/320, I went as high as 1/500.

088b2541517b.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Eddie

Eddie TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 17, 2013
    Lithuania
    Do I need shoe adapter on NEX-6 for HVL-F43M?
    Looking forward for help.

15. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    No, they are directly compatible using the Multi Shoe Interface.

Note that the AF-Light on the flash will not be used, the camera will still use the one on the body - this is expected behaviour (obviously only an issue for autofocus). Other than this everything should work pretty neatly.

16. Eddie

Eddie TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 17, 2013
    Lithuania
    Is there will be the same thing with AF-Light even if I will use the HVL-F60M?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TalkEmount mobile app

17. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
  18. Eddie

Eddie TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 17, 2013
    Lithuania
    You good, you know that?
    This is very helpfull!!!
    I will be back with detail info wit my new flash but still not shure which one will be weapon of choise.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TalkEmount mobile app

• Like Like x 1