1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash on your NEX6

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tuwinkk, Feb 4, 2013.

1. tuwinkk

tuwinkk TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 26, 2012
    Singapore
    guys (and girls)
    i'm wondering....what flash do u use on your nex6?
    the built in flash is really hard to use with 10 18 lens...
    i'm looking for small flash (Nissin DI466 or Yongnuo YN467)
    Anyone has experienced wth that?
    Is the TTL working?
    thanks.......

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have C3 so my situation is even worse than yours. You will need adapter from Minolta shoe to the new shoe in 6.

Your choices are:
    1) Sony (I don't know the compatible models and I think that they are way overpriced)
    2) Minolta shoe flashes with adapter

At least Nissin Di866 Mark II is available for Minolta shoe. So is Nissin Di622, Metz 24, 36, 44 or 50. Others too but you need adapter (locally 32 euros). Signals are probably same so making a compatible flash is easy so I think that there are more choices pretty soon (that is, these manufacturers will put new models out with Nex 6 hot shoe).*I would look about Metz 24 but with extreme wide angles lightning is hard business. Metz 50* documentation says that it's diffuser works up to 12 mm focal length.

This is interesting unit:
    Cactus AF50 TTL Camera Flash / Speedlite for Sony Alpha & Minolta - Gadget Infinity

Size of flash is a point too. Nex cameras are so small that a heavy flash makes them difficult to handle.

The flash is only a part of solution. You will probably need to take flash out of camera and use some kind of external diffuser. I would rather invest in wireless flash transmitter and receiver and manual flashes.

3. sum-of-all-parts

sum-of-all-parts New to TalkEmount

Dec 30, 2012
    Los Angeles, California USA
    Brian Matsumoto
    I se the HVL-20AM--during Christmas they had it on sale. The sale may still be going on. To use this unit, you need the ADP-AA (Shoe Adapter) to fit this flash onto your NEX-6. With the HVL-20AM, I also get wireless capability to trigger the HVL-42AM flash unit. Also, I can use the ADP-AA to mount the HVL-42AM flash; however, I don't care to do this. The flash unit is rather heavy and the balance and ergonomics of the NEX-6 is not to my liking. When I talked to Sony support, they had recommended the HVL-60AM. That flash was definitely too heavy and too expensive for me.

Brian Matsumoto

4. tuwinkk

Dec 26, 2012
    Singapore
    Yea.. Im not considering to use off shoe...
    Since i just fill in the flight on low light...
    Hehe

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I would look about Metz 24. It is small and should work. No personal experience.

Waiting may be best option, I think that there will be native flashes to the 6 soon.

6. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    This is what I'm going to do. All we need is a smaller version of a bounce/tilt speedlite (with a zoom head would be nice!) design, surely not that hard?

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes. That flash business (or lack of it) is annoying. I have settled to use my Olympus PL-1 for flash stuff (where I cannot use slave flash) and Nex for non flash stuff (Nex is much better in other respects).

I hope that somebody makes a small TTL flash for 3/5/C3/5N (with bounce&tilt) and Allacax gets their flash transmitter to work.

I think that signals are same with Minolta shoe (that is that Sony adapter doesn't have any electronics inside) so this is just a mechanical problem.

8. tuwinkk

Dec 26, 2012
    Singapore
    native flash? hope that yong nuo will have the NEX version..
    any1 have experience with Metz on nex?
    wanna share?
    hehehehe

9. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I used my all Nikon SB-600 which worked great, and an Olympus FL36 which was way more capricious, but very good when it decided to fire. Both in manual mode, no TTL here, which is better in my book anyway.

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Manual flash is ok if you can reshoot etc. There is much more to gain by taking the flash of the camera and using light modifiers. Here is a shot of ex colleague:
    P2011713_zps02f8c608.

Taken with 200 euro camera (Olympus PL-1), 30 euro flash (Godox TT520), 10 euro umbrella, 8 GBP lens (Tamron 58A) and 20 euro flash trigger (PT-04 are not very good, but I won't invest more to these until that Allacax thing is clear). I doubt that 500 euro flash had done much difference. It seems that I am pretty cheap ... ;)

Attached Files:

11. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    I was thinking of getting the F20s for my Nex-6. Does anybody know if it will work, using the adapter from the Nex-6's "standard" hot shoe to the minolta-style on the F20s? Plan B would be the Metz 24, but the f20s is such a nice little package...

12. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    I use a ADA-MAA adapter and a Metz 24 for Sony. Along with a cord extension (or not) the kit works very well for all my flash needs including macro.

13. AlexChalkin

AlexChalkin New to TalkEmount

Jun 6, 2013
    Hi,
    I looked around a lot for what flash to use on the Nex 6, which flash is best, which fits the hot shoe without adapter, which won't drain your wallet...the whole lot.

And then I went for the Nissin Di866. Because it fits the hot shoe on the Nex 6 and it seems to be awesome. You can only use in manual mode but then if you have the Nex 6 and you leave everything to Auto, well done, you have a very expensive point & shoot.

My second choice was the Canon 430ex. a bit smaller and cheaper in price. Not sure why I went for the Nissin but glad I did.
    Highly recommended.
    For my Nex6 shots: Flickr: Alexander Chalkin's Photostream

14. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hi Alex, welcome to the forum. :)

15. Eddie

Eddie TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 17, 2013
    Lithuania
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here and would like to share with my little "MacGiver trick" , which can save you some cash and will make fall in love to your in build flash :) Works just perfect....
    Only negative thing is, when you taking vertical shot, light will reflect from the wall.

1. 2.

16. ajm80031

ajm80031 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    I'm using the Konica-Minolta 5600HS flash that I had left over from my old K-M 7D setup. Using it requires the Sony ADPMAA adapter ($25). It looks slightly ridiculous as the flash is as big (or maybe a bit bigger) than the camera and the adapter makes it even larger. However the combination works well, as the adapter allows the flash and camera to fully communicate so the flash adjusts coverage adjusts based on the lens/zoom setting you're on. One benefit of a big flash like this that has a lot of separation from the lens is that there's never any worry of "red eye" when photographing people.

So, if you're on a budget, looking for one of the old K-M flashes with the iISO foot and buying the ADPMAA adapter could be an relatively inexpensive way to get some serious flash power that works well with the camera.

17. Red Bull 2013

Red Bull 2013 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 21, 2013
    I ordered a Yongnuo 460 II and an adapter for Nex 7. I'm curious how it will work.It may consider a LED light. They're pretty cheap and may be worth trying.
    160 New Wansen W126 LED Video Camera Light for Canon Nikon Stronger Than CN 126 | eBay . Manfrotto is and who has Funt flash. It's small in size and fits better with Nex size.Manfrotto ML360 MIDI 36 LED Panel | eBay
    I and a clip with him and what he can do. [video=youtube;2vtzDo4OzSI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vtzDo4OzSI[/video] Sorry my English is not the best.