Flash on a budgethI

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Jun 30, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi
    I am looking for a flash on a budget that would include

1. optical trigger as well as wireless trigger
    2. full manual control of the flash
    3. wireless trigger system that works with my nex
    4. ability to put gels and diffusors on the flash unit

what do we have on the budget side?

Regards
    A

2. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    You don't mention your camera model !

If NEX-3,5, sorry you are out of luck for all the features you are looking for

If NEX-7 or any other Alpha Sony shoe, HVL-F43AM is the basis you should start with. Or HVL-F43M with ADP-AMA if you consider changing cameras soon

If NEX-6 or A3000 or A6000 ( or any other MIS shoe camera ) i would definitely go with the HVL-F43M.

In this latter case, Metz has just announced 2 flashes with MIS shoe, 44AF-1 and 52AF-1
    Model 44 seems to have no HSS but most of the other features and should be compatible with Sony WL system both as trigger and remote ( about 200$ )
    Model 52 is slightly more powerful but has HSS (about 300$ which is basically the price i paid for my 43 )
    No idea on availability

The reasons i recommend the Sony solution is that:
    - everything will work right out of the box. And you get full features
    - when you decide to change cameras later ( this is usually the first item that gets outdated in a photo system these days), you will get maximum compatibility with your next model ( provided it has the same shoe) and you won't need to wait for updates if they ever become available or worse get caught with non working features. In this case, you see it took Metz one and a half year to catch up to MIS shoe and Metz usually does a good job at that. Want to wait 6 months to a year to get your off brand flash compatible with whatever new system/features come about ?
    - reverse engineered solutions ( other brands) often provide unwanted surprises of features that don't work as they should.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I think that the
    Yongnuo YN560 Mark III
    can do what I need. Has anyone else tried it?

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you want to trigger the Yongnuo's, you'll need a wireless trigger additionally to any flash. This brings the price up to about €100 per flash/trigger-combo. Granted, still much cheaper than the competition.

I just yesterday received a Metz 52 AF-1. That flash would support everything you need, is built like a tank and works quite well. I'm not a huge friend of the touch screen - it's not very responsive. But at least the menu makes very clear where the function you're looking for is located. Also, you can choose which hot shoe you want it for - they have a version with the old iISO as well as one with the new multi interface one.

5. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    Just one note about the model 44. I looked on Metz website and it shows the 44 can function as a wireless slave, but the boxes showing compatibility as wireless master or controller are marked as unavailable.
    https://www.metz.de/en/lighting/fla...itz-44-af-1-digital-sony-multi-interface.html

The model 52 shows master/controller/slave are all available options.

The Nissin i40 is supposedly coming out with an MIS shoe version this month. It will do HSS, but it only functions in slave mode as well.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    bought the sb-80 :p :p
    Alex

7. michelb

Oct 27, 2013
    Michel Brien
    I had not noticed that.
    Thanks for noticing since this would have been the bargain of the day but like i said in previous post: There is no free lunch

8. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I purchased the Sony HVLF-20M for the A6000.
    I can use it as a light weight compact travel flash and also as a wireless trigger for my Yongnuo YN-565EX (Nikon).

I'm not into flash photography, but this combo should come in handy when I do need it.

9. michelb

Oct 27, 2013
    Michel Brien

Did you actually try that combination ? ( HVL-F20M and YN-565EX)

I am in the process of evaluating flashes and the HVL-F20 ( i tested both the M and AM version which has the old foot ) to discover that this flash is likely more of a stroboscope than a flash emitting a single pulse. Therefore if it works the way i just tested, the Yongnuo will get the flash command too early and i am afraid ( but yet uncertain) that your pics will be underexposed due to the lack of synch of the flash towards the pre-flash or stroboscopic effect of the HVL-F20.

To summarize my findings, i was testing some flashes to evaluate power levels at different zoom settings using 3 ( yes three ) flash meters i have ( minolta FlashMeter IV, FM V and Autometer Vf) and was getting consistent results ( within 1/10 EV between them) with all the flashes i was testing ( Sony HVL-F60M, HVL-F43AM, Minolta 4000AF( 1986 ) and Minolta 360PX ( 1979 )) .
    Except for 2 units:

Minolta Deluxe III: this is a bulb flash using M2B bulbs from the early 1960's: the Flashmeter IV was giving me no reading while the FM V was giving me F11 + ,2EV and the Autometer Vf was giving me F 5.6 + ,8EV ( basically F8). My guess is modern Flash meters are not designed for long burning bulbs ????

The Sony HVL-F20M was not seen by the Flashmeter V but the Flash meter IV was giving me F 4 + .1EV while the Autometer Vf was reading F2 + .4 EV ( basically F2.5).
    The 20 also did not work on PT-04 wireless trigger. I actually had to place it on my A7r and fake taking pictures to get the preceding readings

Both units were also not seen by my ColorMeter IIIf but all other units gave me readings ( all in Non-cord flash mode )

My assumption for this lack of readings and incompatibility on a simple WL trigger is that the HVL-F20AM ( and the 20M should be the same) is actually a unit that emits low pulses of light ( this is how it can be used to control in wireless ) but this makes it incompatible with traditional optical triggering of remote flashes like i think the Yongnuo has. Maybe in S-2 Mode

Let us know if it works and how you got it to work

10. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I have not yet used it it in real time...only as a test.
    As long as the YN-565EX is in S2 mode (slave), the HVL-20M does trigger it.

I'm not familiar with flash photography, so I can't explain it in detail...you will know more than me about all this.