Flash mysteries with the Nex 6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Nex Tex, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    After a lot of head scratching, I think I'm beginning to understand the Nex 6 flash "system".

(1) The Nex 6 has a "multi interface shoe", which means you can put any normal flash on it but (a) some flashes have a voltage that can harm the camera and (b) TTL will not work.

(2) There are exactly two (2) native external flashes that will work with the Nex 6 in TTL mode: the $550 Sony HVL-F60M and the upcoming $400 Sony HVL-F43M. (These are called M flashes) Both are probably too big for the Nex 6.

(3) You can use just about any flash with a Sony Maxxum shoe in TTL mode, with the use of the Sony ADP-MAA adapter ($24). Most of these flashes are quite big (and the adapter makes them even higher), but a couple are small enough. (These are called AM flashes)

(4) Note that the Sony Sony HVL-F20M, which Sony advertises as being for the Nex 6, is really a Sony HVL-F20AM plus a Sony ADP-MAA adapter. Ironically, it is cheaper to buy the HVL-F20M right now.

(5) It should be possible to use a remote triggering device like a Pocketwizard in the Nex 6 shoe, but it will operate only in manual mode (no TTL).

(6) I am not aware of any remote triggering mechanism that will support TTL. IF THERE IS PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

(7) The Nex 6 internal flash does not support wireless mode. THIS IS VERY UNFORTUNATE.

(8) I suppose that you can do remote TTL by buying at least two Sony flashes (I guess you can use any M or, with an adapter, AM flash? Is that right? How about third party flashes with a Sony/Maxxum shoe??).

(9) Is there any cable that will allow a Sony flash to be connected to the Nex, that will operate in TTL mode?? THIS IS A BIG QUESTION FOR ME RIGHT NOW.

2. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011
    6) Pixel King radio trigger will support Sony TTL mode if mounted via the ADP-MAA adapter.

7) This is unfortunate indeed, but you can use HVL-F20M (or AM) to wirelessly trigger remote flashes.

9) You can use the aforementioned ADP-MAA adapter with any generic Sony TTL cable from eBay and any Minolta/Sony Flash with the "old" Sony/Minolta auto-locking shoe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. They are certainly pretty much identical looking flashes, but if you buy a F20M, I'm pretty sure you don't get a F20AM and an adapter. You get a different flash that works on the new shoe without the adapter.

HVL-F20M vs HVL-F20AM+ADP-MAA: Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

4. Nex Tex

Jul 25, 2013
    I stand corrected, although looking at the pictures I wish they had done it the other way. The new flash is about the same size as the old flash plus the adapter.

Do you know what flash combinations work in wireless TTL? Say I got an F20M, what flashes would the F20M trigger in wireless TTL? Would any flash with a Sony Maxxum shoe? (here is a list: On Camera Flashes | B&H Photo Video). Are there any other wireless TTL "slaves"?

Is there a gadget that I can attach to an external flash that turns it into a TTL "slave"? (In Nikon-land for example, they used to sell such a thing).

5. stratokaster

Aug 27, 2011
    If you buy an F20M, you will be able to wirelessly trigger almost any Sony/Minolta flash: 3600HS D, 5600HS D, HVL-F36AM, HVL-F56AM, HVL-F58AM, HVL-F42AM, HVL-F43M/AM, HVL-F60M. The only flashes that can not be triggered wirelessly are 2500D and HVL-F20M/AM.

Some third party flashes (for example, Metz 44AF-1, 50AF-1, 52AF-1 and 58AF-2) also support wireless TTL.

6. Nex Tex

Jul 25, 2013
    Are there any other small flashes that can be used as triggers, similar to the F20M/AM?

7. stratokaster

Aug 27, 2011
    No.

8. Nex Tex

Jul 25, 2013
    Ok, so it seems that I have three realistic choices for off-camera flash:

(1) Buy two flashes: F20M + compatible off-camera flash (Sony, Metz etc.)
    (2) Use my Nikon SB-800 with extension cable that I already have. Manual or flash-based automatic only.
    (3) Research Pixel King radio trigger further. [If this thing can trigger my Nikon SB-800 then I'm probably sold.]

9. stratokaster

Aug 27, 2011
    Obviously you won't get any TTL in that case because this flash is not Sony-compatible.

10. Nex Tex

Jul 25, 2013
    I thought maybe you can mix and match a Pixel King Sony Transmitter with a Pixel King Nikon Receiver.... It's not as crazy as it sounds, is it?

11. stratokaster

Aug 27, 2011
    Radio triggers simply transmit TTL signals from the camera to the flash and vice versa. You still need a Sony-compatible flash to use TTL metering with a Sony camera.

12. Nex Tex

Jul 25, 2013
    Ok--any recommendations?

13. stratokaster

Aug 27, 2011
    Well, it all depends on your budget.

I'd get the cheapest full-featured flash (Minolta 5600HS D or Metz 50AF-1) along with ADP-MAA adapter and generic off-camera TTL cable from eBay. If you need wireless flash, HVL-F20M/AM will serve as a wireless trigger.

14. gmutt26

gmutt26 TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    Will the hvl-f20m work with third party lenses? I have a old 50mm Miranda lens.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount