1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash frustration for NEX 6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Malfeitor, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Malfeitor

Malfeitor New to TalkEmount

Mar 19, 2014
    I'll get straight to the point. Are there any TTL compatible flashes (even with adapters) for this camera? I cannot justify paying $400+ for a SONY flash. I know there is also the $150 model but it's just too small and basic for that price.

• Like Like x 1
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I use a Minolta 5600 HS-D with ADP-MAA adapter on my NEX-6, works great. A Minolta 3600 HS-D is also an option but I never tried it myself.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I don't know how the availability is around the world as they're made in Germany, but Metz flashes are said to be very good and the service is outstanding from what I've heard. They're modern, easy to use, support TTL as well as optical triggering (not all models), are compatible with pretty much all brands, are available in all sizes (GN 24, 32, 44, 52 and 58) and are comparably cheap. The Sony versions should still feature the Minolta hot shoe your NEX-6 has.

Biggest downside to the Sony flashes might be that they feel cheap, but they're solid as hell despite some parts that don't feel like it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Malfeitor

Mar 19, 2014
    I was under the impression that SONY historically used the Minolta hot shoe but that all changed with the NEX 6 that uses the Multi Interface Shoe. Thus rendering all the old equipment useless.

From the wiki "The Multi Interface Sho is a proprietary camera hot shoe introduced by Sony on 12 September 2012, replacing an assortment of other proprietary hotshoes used by Sony in various types of cameras in the past, including the Auto-lock Accessory Shoe (aka AAS or "iISO" shoe) introduced by Minolta in 1988"

• Like Like x 1
  5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, there is no such thing as a "universal hot shoe". At least now it has the same physical form as the other ones, which means it is indeed possible to build flashes that work among camera systems. That Sony (or Canon, Nikon or any other camera brand) doesn't do this is obvious, I'd say. Btw., I preferred the iISO hot shoe too, but that's another story.

Also, there are inexpensive adapters around which let you use iISO flashes on the new multi interface hot shoe with all functions supported.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Malfeitor

Mar 19, 2014
    I'm a noob so forgive the question...When you say flash sizes GN 24, 32, 44, 52 and 58, what does that refer to?

• Like Like x 1
  7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    ADP-MAA

Where would I source this item at a fair price?

Many thanks as always!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's measured in meters for ISO 100 and f/5 so you can compare the power of flashes. In short it just means that a flash with a higher guide number (GN) is more powerful than a flash with a lower guide number. It really depends on what you want your flash for how strong it needs to be. Also, David Hobby (aka "The Strobist") once did a test which proved that flashes with higher maximum power have a longer life span when used at a lower power than weaker flashes used at the same power, but that's just if you want to use it for years at full power - all flashes have a pretty long life.

If you shoot just in a studio, you're probably fine with everything from GN 30 upwards. For events and so on, bigger flashes are never a disadvantage - except the size and weight, of course.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    I looked into this, and settled on using off-camera slaves, triggered by the on board flash. It's not a TTL setup, but I like using them in manual mode.

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    No, not all old flashes with a Minolta hot shoe are useless with a NEX-6. As mentioned in my previous post, the Minolta 5600 HS-D works wonderfully on a NEX-6 with the aid of the Sony ADP-MAA converter.

• Like Like x 2
  11. bljarv

bljarv New to TalkEmount

Mar 5, 2014
    I put a Yongnuo YN-560 II speedlight on my NEX 6 and it worked great in manual mode. I understand that Yugnuo has a new TTL flash that I assume would work.

12. jamiesin

jamiesin TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 20, 2013
    I have a Nex-6 as well. Does the metz flash provide full TTL? Anything that I should be aware of if I am looking to purchase a new flash?

Thanks!

13. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Almost all the flashes that connect to only the ISO hotshoe give no TTL. the hotshoe is just a trigger and noting more. However sony has hidden their multi interface port at the front of the shoe. Flashes that connect thorough this can give you TTL and other fancy stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that there are no third party flashes having both TTL and ISO shoe for Sony. That is, you have to use adapter between camera and flash. That was one of reasons why I did get Nex 7 as there are several old Minolta/Sony/Third party flashes for it. Of course I have to use adapter with flash trigger but that is ok for me.

15. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I use 3600hsd with same adapter as well, works like a charm.

16. Boriqua

Boriqua New to TalkEmount

Apr 9, 2014
    Stuttgart, Germany
    +1 on the Metz flashes. I have an AF43 AF1 or AF2 and it is phenomenal. In Germany they sell like hot cakes and give excellent results... I just purchased a Sony AF43AM (old version) and don't like the way the flash shoots or even exposes... The Metz is spot on every time...

17. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Keep in mind though that the only Metz flashes which can be used as wireless ADI masters are the 52 AF-1 and the 58 AF-anything.

18. ruko

ruko New to TalkEmount

May 20, 2014
    Flash for NEX6

Hello

I too am having a time finding a flash that will allow full TTL for this camera. May I ask what flash did you finally buy and how did it work out for you?

Thanks

19. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Not a NEX-6, but A6000 question.

I'm not a "flash" type guy, but think that having one just in case is a good idea.
    I'm looking for a flash that would allow full TTL ability on the A6000, but doesn't overwhelm the size of the camera.

There is a local Craigslist seller who is willing to sell me the Sony HVL-20M in mint condition for $100.
    Is it worth buying this flash?
    Will it be any better than the built in flash on the A6000?

Any advice/suggestions will be appreciated.

20. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Don't buy any flash which can't be used off-camera. They're just too limiting. If you're looking for a relatively small flash, buy either a HVL-F43M or a Metz 42 AF-something (you'd need an adapter for the latter), they're not that big and allow for further expansion of your flash setup. Also, their heads are tiltable which is a huge advantage.

• Like Like x 2