Flash Diffuser

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Wouter, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Wouter

Wouter New to TalkEmount

May 1, 2016
    Wouter Verhoeven
    Hi everyone,

I've been asked to take pictures of parties at a local club on a weekly basis. I've done this in the past and I can't wait to start again.

The camera I'm using for this is a Sony A7II with a Yongnuo YN660 in combination with the YN560-TX controller for off camera flash. Usually I'll have the camera in one hand and flash in the other to play a bit with the direction of light. Now, I find the light of the bare flash a bit ugly and I'm trying to find a solution. Partying people tend to be sweaty with somewhat greasy skin so the flash doesn't really help.

I've already tried a small softbox from Polariod, you know the really small one you can fold out with velcro but I didn't like it. If someone bumps into me it can easily fall off my flash and I still think its to big. Even though its one of the smallest diffusers for a speedlite.

What I'm actually looking for is a stofen that fits on the YN660. Yes I know it doesn't really make the light any softer but I'm hoping for slightly better results than just a bare flash. I know it will take up more battery power but I use the flash as a second curtain fill flash anyways so I think I'll be good.

The reason that I'm asking this here is because I couldn't find a stofen online of which I'm sure it'll fit the YN660. Maybe someone has the same flash and knows which stofen for lets say a Canon or Nikon speedlite fits on it. Any other suggestions are welcome to!

I'm hoping someone can help me :)

2. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
  3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    There are lots of do-it-yourself tutorials for making your own diffusers. Generally pretty easy and inexpensive.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    The very idea of using a barf bag - priceless. :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
  6. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Most of the Yongnou flash heads are the same size and shape as the Canon 580EXII so a stofen for it should fit.

If you're using the flash to fill in ambient, I just put it on the camera and bounce it over my shoulder. Set the zoom to at least 70 or even all the way to 200mm and it will give a much better result than the diffusor.

I use a piece of flexible foam to keep the light for firing into someone's face if they are behind me. Hold the foam sheet, on the head with an elastic hair band.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. sliver-surfer

sliver-surfer TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2013
    I've made mine from Chinese food containers. Super light (double entendre ) You can make different sizes and you can use the lids or buy light sphere tops cheap