Flash bouncing and diffuser? any idea?

imbz

New to TalkEmount
Flash bouncing and diffuser? any idea? I don't want to buy new flash. In DSLR, you have a cheap alternative way to do this but for Nex-5n I can't find solution from google.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
easy

Flash bouncing and diffuser? any idea? I don't want to buy new flash. In DSLR, you have a cheap alternative way to do this but for Nex-5n I can't find solution from google.
The easiest is the ping pong ball trick. I know it sounds hokey, but it is easy and effective.

Take a ping pong ball an cut a slit to slide over the flash.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I recut this to make it a bit tighter, but you get the general idea.

Here are the examples, all shot on IAuto to eliminate any user input.

Without diffuser:

With diffuser:

Quite a bit better light dispersal.

JJJPhoto

TalkEmount Regular
It does give you slightly more "wrapping" light, but it also causes about 3/4 (0.75) EV underexposure because of the weakened flash output. If you increase the exposure in Photoshop you only end up with a modest variation (slightly less harsh light on the subject but overall very similar lighting to the standard non-diffused flash).

The biggest problem I have with the standard clip-on flash is that it's too small, uses the camera's battery to recycle, and you can't mount it off camera. Part of me wishes Sony would make an off-camera cord for the flashes on the NEX 3, 5, C3 and 5N, but I suspect Sony's attitude is, "If you want a 'real' flash then buy the NEX-7 and a HVL-F43AM or HVL-F58AM."

:(

Alowisney

TalkEmount Regular
I did the same trick, but with an opaque plastic 35mm film canister. It works pretty well, but I suspect the ping pong ball might be a bit better.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
ya

It does give you slightly more "wrapping" light, but it also causes about 3/4 (0.75) EV underexposure because of the weakened flash output. If you increase the exposure in Photoshop you only end up with a modest variation (slightly less harsh light on the subject but overall very similar lighting to the standard non-diffused flash).

The biggest problem I have with the standard clip-on flash is that it's too small, uses the camera's battery to recycle, and you can't mount it off camera. Part of me wishes Sony would make an off-camera cord for the flashes on the NEX 3, 5, C3 and 5N, but I suspect Sony's attitude is, "If you want a 'real' flash then buy the NEX-7 and a HVL-F43AM or HVL-F58AM."

:(
It is a slightly darker, but by far a more consistent light. Not a perfect fix, but pretty good.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Still using mine and still impressed with the extra control you get.

I would like to get the bigger flash, but just don't shoot often enough to justify it.

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
I can not remember what forum I saw it, a bounce flash, it was is to use a piece of paper you put in the flash and fold it, let me take some pictures and share them with you

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro

snkenai

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Stephen Noel
I have used pieces of translucent milk jugs, dish soap bottles, Fuji film canisters, etc., over the years, with varying degrees of satisfaction. I currently, have a piece of milk jug rubber banded to my FL36. It rides there all the time, and does a great job. I like the ping pong ball idea for small flashes up close.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom