Flash bouncing and diffuser? any idea?

imbz

New to TalkEmount
Flash bouncing and diffuser? any idea? I don't want to buy new flash. In DSLR, you have a cheap alternative way to do this but for Nex-5n I can't find solution from google.

davect01

Super Moderator
easy

Flash bouncing and diffuser? any idea? I don't want to buy new flash. In DSLR, you have a cheap alternative way to do this but for Nex-5n I can't find solution from google.
The easiest is the ping pong ball trick. I know it sounds hokey, but it is easy and effective.

Take a ping pong ball an cut a slit to slide over the flash.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I recut this to make it a bit tighter, but you get the general idea.

Here are the examples, all shot on IAuto to eliminate any user input.

Without diffuser:

With diffuser:

Quite a bit better light dispersal.

JJJPhoto

TalkEmount Regular
It does give you slightly more "wrapping" light, but it also causes about 3/4 (0.75) EV underexposure because of the weakened flash output. If you increase the exposure in Photoshop you only end up with a modest variation (slightly less harsh light on the subject but overall very similar lighting to the standard non-diffused flash).

The biggest problem I have with the standard clip-on flash is that it's too small, uses the camera's battery to recycle, and you can't mount it off camera. Part of me wishes Sony would make an off-camera cord for the flashes on the NEX 3, 5, C3 and 5N, but I suspect Sony's attitude is, "If you want a 'real' flash then buy the NEX-7 and a HVL-F43AM or HVL-F58AM."

:(

Alowisney

TalkEmount Regular
I did the same trick, but with an opaque plastic 35mm film canister. It works pretty well, but I suspect the ping pong ball might be a bit better.

davect01

Super Moderator
ya

It does give you slightly more "wrapping" light, but it also causes about 3/4 (0.75) EV underexposure because of the weakened flash output. If you increase the exposure in Photoshop you only end up with a modest variation (slightly less harsh light on the subject but overall very similar lighting to the standard non-diffused flash).

The biggest problem I have with the standard clip-on flash is that it's too small, uses the camera's battery to recycle, and you can't mount it off camera. Part of me wishes Sony would make an off-camera cord for the flashes on the NEX 3, 5, C3 and 5N, but I suspect Sony's attitude is, "If you want a 'real' flash then buy the NEX-7 and a HVL-F43AM or HVL-F58AM."

:(
It is a slightly darker, but by far a more consistent light. Not a perfect fix, but pretty good.

davect01

Super Moderator
Still using mine and still impressed with the extra control you get.

I would like to get the bigger flash, but just don't shoot often enough to justify it.

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
I can not remember what forum I saw it, a bounce flash, it was is to use a piece of paper you put in the flash and fold it, let me take some pictures and share them with you

snkenai

TalkEmount Regular
I have used pieces of translucent milk jugs, dish soap bottles, Fuji film canisters, etc., over the years, with varying degrees of satisfaction. I currently, have a piece of milk jug rubber banded to my FL36. It rides there all the time, and does a great job. I like the ping pong ball idea for small flashes up close.