Flash Bounce Cards for the A6000, NEX-6 and NEX-7

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ferrellmc, Jul 30, 2014.

1. ferrellmc

ferrellmc New to TalkEmount

Jul 30, 2014
    Maryland
    I started shooting with the NEX-7 then the A6000 and found I loved the pop-up flash. The ability to rotate the flash backward makes it a great tool for adding diversity to lighting the subject. My only issue, it’s a bit limiting to use the EVF and try to hold the flash pointed up while pressing the shutter. I also wanted more consistency in the angle of the bounce when shooting a couple of images at a time.

I decided to make some flash bounce cards for the A6000, NEX-6 and NEX-7. I made a clear card and white translucent card and found the flash could light the subject with a soft light and bounce a portion of the light. With a GN=6 for the flash output, as long as I keep the subject and bounce surface within about 6 feet, the Auto ISO doesn’t go much higher than a stop.
    DSC04966_950.

The white card captures some of the flash and acts as fill light with a portion being bounced. The clear card bounces most of the light. I made them so the flash can be moved to the forward position without removing the card.

If you want more info on the bounce cards and where to get them:

http://beforethecoffee.com/bounce-cards-for-the-pop-up-flash-sony-a6000-nex-6-nex-7/

A6000flshbounce_950.

Disclaimer: this post lists an item for sale, so it was presented in advance to the Admins for acceptance.

• Like Like x 12
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Email on it's way!! I too find holding the flash back a bit annoying... I am in the UK but I have a friend in Maryland who you can ship them too and I'll get them from him when I am stateside in October if it makes the shipping significantly cheaper...

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  4. ferrellmc

Jul 30, 2014
    Maryland
    Very nice, and it looks like from the "Birthday Bash" post you're putting it to work! Nice shots.

5. ferrellmc

Jul 30, 2014
    Maryland
    Hi José, I've found shipping a large envelope International Mail is about the same as small package shipped within the US. So it would be $5.00 shipping. You will get it sooner for the same price. All the best.

6. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Excellent invention

7. 986ster

986ster TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    Great work! Order placed.

8. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Arrived safe and sound on other side of the pond - really impressed, great quality and extremely well thought out, allowing the flash to be moved to direct or bounce position without the need to remove the card. And all of that for just pocket money!

Thanks again Ferrell for having this great idea and for sharing your invention!

• Like Like x 1
  9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Very creative! Where do I order!?! :)

10. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Follow the link above...

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Received mine today - great product indeed :thumbup:

12. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Email sent! Looks great :)

13. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I've been quite satisfied with these.

A clever idea that works well, is easy to carry, and is attractively priced.

- Tom -

14. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I rarely use a flash but there's no denying the convenience of the NEX-7 pop-up and thought I'd give these a try...just placed an order.

It'll also be interesting to see if the flash cards might let me get away with using a slightly longer lens which normally casts a shadow down in the lower left part of a photo.

15. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't know about the second you mention, but I do know you'll love these bounce cards! For me they make the built-in flash useable again ;)

16. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, I had found a simple rubber band would hold it tilted up.....OK for a few general random flash shots.....but I suspect for more uniform / repeatability for something like portraits, the bounce cards would be more consistent

• Like Like x 1
  17. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    {quote]It'll also be interesting to see if the flash cards might let me get away with using a slightly longer lens which normally casts a shadow down in the lower left part of a photo.{/quote]

Well, don't I feel stupid.
    This thread got me wanting to investigate further...the incident where I noticed some corner shadows on a rare occasion that I did use a flash...just tried several lenses all the way out to a Canon 200mm...shot a test spot on an empty wall...no shadows in the corners at all on any of the longer "lenses".

Then I remembered what I was shooting when that happened and realized it must have been simply a case of a lens hood too large, that was causing vignetting...when I had removed the hood the shadow went away and it never dawned on me that the hood was slightly too large for the wide angle focal length I was shooting...it wasn't because the hood was too long getting in the way of the flash, LOL.

:shakehead: :redface:

18. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, I've exonerated myself...I was indeed getting a lower left corner shadow when using the NEX-7 pop-up flash with a certain lens...the culprits are as follows:
    Canon FDn 24-35-L
    Canon FDn 28-85
    Canon FDn 35-105

Common denominator is their medium length with the barrel stepping up to a large 72mm front end.
    Gets in the way of the flash preventing it from filling the lower left corner of the photos...without using a hood at all.

Lens with slim barrels / slim front ends don't cause the problem...don't block the flash to that lower left corner.
    And even the Canon FDn 200mm...in spite of it also having a large 72mm front end...does not cause the problem, apparently because of it's longer length with the large front end out further on a fairly slim barrel.

19. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Hot Dog...the flash bounce cards arrived and I re-ran the tests using the built-in flash.
    The card eliminates the lower left corner shadow I get with the big 72mm front ends on these 3 lenses:
    Canon FDn 24-35-L
    Canon FDn 28-85
    Canon FDn 35-105

An excellent example of the huge benefits of Forums.
    This thread about 'flash cards' has been a good technical tip & solution for me.
    I'd come to the conclusion I'd never be able to use those lenses with the built-in flash.

And in the same week learned where the 'red eye reduction' feature was located so I could shut it off. ( was NOT in the flash section !!! )

• Like Like x 1
  20. teddoman

teddoman TalkEmount Regular

Nov 18, 2014
    nyc
    Glad this thread got reupped. Ordered! For situations when you're just not gonna throw a huge flash onto the hot shoe.