Flash automation with NEX-6 and older Sony/Minolta flashes

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by addieleman, May 29, 2013.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I'd like to have a flash for my NEX-6 that copies aperture and ISO settings from the NEX-6, but I don't need to have TTL auto exposure, I'll use auto-exposure by the flash's own sensor. I was thinking to use an ADP-MAA adapter on the NEX-6 and then buy a second-hand Minolta 5200i of 4000AF flash. Would that work, i.e. copy aperture and ISO from the camera? Thanks!

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Now there's an interesting question. How transparent is the ADP-MAA adapter when it comes to passing info from the camera to flash? I think the issue is going to be how the contacts line up (and which ones are actually supported). Sorry, I don't have an answer, just more questions. :eek:

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Posted the same question on dpreview and got this answer. In short: flashes like Minolta 5200i, 5400HS and 4000AF aren't useable because they don't have their own sensor for exposure automation. So I'll stick with my Olympus FL-50R which can do just that, but I have to manually enter focal length, aperture and ISO on the flash. Might as well sell this expensive beast and buy an old, cheap and powerful flash.