Flash, and when to???

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by davegore2005, Feb 18, 2013.

1. davegore2005

davegore2005 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    OK, so it may sound like a daft question but I have just bought a F7S flash to go with my NEX C3 which didn't come with one, but how dark indoors or outdoors does anyone have opinions that it needs to be, or again, another daft question...will the camera do the guess work for me??

I use the lens that came with the camera, the 18-55 zoom, but I also have a couple of Canon lenses too, a 50mm and a 28mm, will the camera 'know' and work it out for me too with these lenses on the camera??

New to this, still learning, but very much enjoying it, but any help and advice is very much appreciated

2. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    Not familiar with the c3, but I almost always us fill flash -1.7 for any outdoor portraits/ snaps or close subjects , indoors is easy. Take a shot and decide if it needs more light or not, flash used badly can kill a good shot stone dead.
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    I might not be the best fellow to answer this because I have yet to warm up to my camera's built-in flash. Something about the quality of the light - I just really do not like it at all. Bouncing off a white wall or ceiling does help somewhat. That said, I still find every time i do a run of shots with and without flash, I always prefer the frames shot with available light, even when it is highly unfavorable.

Your mileage may vary, though... a run of practice/test shots might help dial you in.
  4. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I don't know how to use flash so I tend to never use it. I guess I should learn how to properly use it, but to date, I don't think I have a shot that I've kept other than some water drops that I used a flash.
  5. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Flash is also not a activity of me. But now I have to shoot in a church and i will use him, but.
  6. fishmatter

fishmatter New to TalkEmount

Mar 20, 2013
    I don't use the onboard flash on my NEX-6 very often. If I'm in a dim room I use a finger to point it up towards the ceiling, but its throw is so short this only works up fairly close.

I use a wireless trigger to fire whatever flashes I need. As a rule I use flash during the day, particularly in bright sunlight, much more than at night. Sort of the opposite of most people I find. At night I generally stick to fast lenses and available light but during the day I hold a minolta strobe in my left hand and the NEX in my right. I shoot in manual and stop down to at least 10 so, especially if I'm using the fisheye, almost everything is past hyperfocal so I don't bother focusing. Works pretty well for shots like this, which I took with an A700 but using exactly the same technique - all manual, no focus, flash at 1/1, etc. kiko.

This second shot was taken in a dark club - the only light came from a hallway to the restrooms, probably 40 feet behind me. This was the 50/1.8 at some ungodly ISO, I think.

Sorry about any jpegging - I just grabbed these from my facebook library - faster than digging up a hard drive...
  7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    You need flash when there is not enough availlable light. For example 1600 ISO, 50mm objective, 1/50s exposure time and aperture of 1.7 is about the limit for me. That means that in normally lit rooms there is no need for the flash. However small amount of fill-in light improves many pictures.

There is quite much info about flash use in strobist.com.