1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

flags

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by davect01, Nov 10, 2012.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    A couple of flag pics I have snapped.

DSC07850.JPG

DSC07936.JPG

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Dave thanks for those, I like flags, and more specifically the Stars and stripes. I have however some critical feedback on your composition choices (or it seems, lack of).
    1st image would be the stronger and better of the two, but you cut the pole way too high and to close to the flag itself, you kind of, not beheaded, but "be necked" it, and it's not visually very pleasant. Also you would have had more luck with wind making it longer, it's a bit short and rectangular in shape here, more "flame like" angle would have been cool (though I realize you had no power over that).
    Otherwise I do like the first image suite a bit, exposure is spot on and colors are good, though I would have made the sky a tad more dramatic in PP (Snapseed has a mode for that that is great, as long as you're extremely careful not to overdo it).
    Now, if I may extend my criticism, this is supposed to be constructive and NOT to bash your picture. Composition wise, it's unfortunate. Centered pole, flag conflicting with three, and slanted part of roof screwing up the horizon. I wouldn't have kept this one. If you really wanted to save it you had to crop much tighter, above the roof line, with a litle rule of third, and eliminating the building altogether.
    Again, this is only my two cents and meant as a suggestion :)

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    ya

Ya totally agree on the first one. Unfortunately the flag below it was all curled up and had to be cropped out.

The second one is actually straight, but the spot I could take it from made it odd. Not the best of course.

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Well, we've been recently talking about the fact that we're a global forum... so might as well represent!

TwoFlags.

I'm not really all that patriotic... but hey, any excuse to take a photo right, lol! (New Zealand flag is at the bottom left)

I thought this subject was going to be easy, seeing as the wind was flapping these flags nicely at the time. I've had to take a few, before I could settle on something decent! An even then, I'm not all that pleased with it... :)