Fixing the excessive sensitivity of the A7R2's eye sensor

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by addieleman, Aug 4, 2017.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Like many others I hate the overly sensitive eye sensor that the A7R2 uses for automatic switching between viewfinder and display: when I flip out the LCD for taking pics at belly height, the camera switches to the viewfinder all too quickly. I tried to fix that with a felt-tipped black marker but I didn't get it to really work.

On a heads-up at dpreview I ordered a LightDims package. I cut out a piece of the semi-translucent black variety and cut it back to have it cover the eye sensor for about 3/8 of the sensor's length, positioned at the left, and now the sensor does a proper job: switching to the viewfinder even with my glasses on and switching to the LCD when holding the camera before my breast or belly. I ordered the package with several varieties for $20, just below the customs duties limit; I figured it would give me several options and also would take care of some annoyingly bright LEDs in my household.

It took some time before I got the package because the first one got lost apparently. Upon my inquiry they promptly sent me a second package which arrived in a week. I promised them to post a review which I now did :) .

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. Sympa

Sympa TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 19, 2015
    I'm using a bit of tape that I have blackened with a marker. Works very well on the A6000.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Catmurphy

Catmurphy TalkEmount Regular

Oct 23, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    Cathy Murphy
    Have that problem when I wish to use my Hoodman LCD viewer.

4. I just switch mine to eye or screen if I can get away with it...yes an irritating thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.