Fixing the excessive sensitivity of the A7R2's eye sensor

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by addieleman, Aug 4, 2017.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Like many others I hate the overly sensitive eye sensor that the A7R2 uses for automatic switching between viewfinder and display: when I flip out the LCD for taking pics at belly height, the camera switches to the viewfinder all too quickly. I tried to fix that with a felt-tipped black marker but I didn't get it to really work.

On a heads-up at dpreview I ordered a LightDims package. I cut out a piece of the semi-translucent black variety and cut it back to have it cover the eye sensor for about 3/8 of the sensor's length, positioned at the left, and now the sensor does a proper job: switching to the viewfinder even with my glasses on and switching to the LCD when holding the camera before my breast or belly. I ordered the package with several varieties for $20, just below the customs duties limit; I figured it would give me several options and also would take care of some annoyingly bright LEDs in my household.

It took some time before I got the package because the first one got lost apparently. Upon my inquiry they promptly sent me a second package which arrived in a week. I promised them to post a review which I now did :).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2