1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Fix For a7's Over Sensitive EVF Sensor!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JerryB, Apr 8, 2015.

1. JerryB

JerryB New to TalkEmount

Apr 8, 2015
    Jerry Brendle
    I have now owned both a Sony a7 and an a7II.
    One of the very few shortcomings, as noted in practically all reviews on these cameras though, is the fact that if you want to use its LCD finder on the back, and hold the camera down at waist level, which in many cases shades the camera's eyepiece sensor heavily, the sensor within the EVF's rubber hood thinks the camera is being held to your eye and turns the LCD completely off in favor of the EVF only. Of course, there's the menu setting on the camera to set one or the other SOLELY, but this is a hassle when you need to switch back and forth frequently .
    I finally discovered a simple fix to remedy this very aggravating situation using a product called Light Dims, which are little inexpensive, stick-on pre-cot pieces of a neutral gray shading material actually made for putting over glaring, bright LED's that are overly bright and irritate you at night or in dark places.

By simply cutting a 3mm X 5mm piece of this material and applying it over the left half of the EVF sensor window, the sensor functions perfectly and the LCD remains on even in very low light, plus the EVF still switches on again automatically when the camera is held up to your eye! This is an incredibly simple fix that many Sony a7 users have wrestled with for months and have hoped and hoped that Sony would correct via a firmware update! It seems to work for all the Sony a7 models including the a7, a7R, a7II and a7S. These little gadgets are available on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Original-Strength%C2%AE-Minimal-Packaging/dp/B00CLVEQCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428490110&sr=8-1&keywords=lightdims) or directly from the company at: www.lightdims.com

I am in no way affiliated with the company and have no vested interest. I just discovered this from another post on a Sony a7 forum, tried it and was super impressed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Cool. Can you post a pic of the viewfinder so we can see exactly where it was placed?

3. JerryB

JerryB New to TalkEmount

Apr 8, 2015
    Jerry Brendle
    Remove the rubber EVF eyepiece by pushing up on each side with your thumbs. Cut a tiny piece just long enough to cover the left half of the sensor window (I leave myself a little "handle" to remove it by if necessary), apply and replace eyepiece and you're there LightDim on a7 II. .

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Totally going to try this out. Thx for sharing.

5. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Went to the Light Dims web site and found the link for the "free" trial. Added them to my Stumble likes and ordered a test page for the cost of shipping/handling.

I have the A6000, which orients the sensor in the other direction. Looks like mine will cover the bottom half.

Thanks for the tip!

6. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I did this a while back and it works very well.

7. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    Oh man I need to do this! Thanks for sharing this fix.

8. van

van TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    So, I decided to give this a shot and it works beautifully. The EVF is still sensitive enough so that it immediately activates when you put your eye to it, but not so much that it activates with waist level shooting. :thumbup:

FullSizeRender.

(the Light Dims themselves are pretty good for what they're designed for. I've been taping up all my LED's with the leftovers :cool:)

• Like Like x 2
  9. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I can confirm... Flawlessly working.
    Cheapest easiest fix ever.
    Thx for sharing.

10. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Still waiting for my "free" trial package to arrive. Almost two weeks.

11. grillec

grillec TalkEmount Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    Mh, I tried this with a normal black tape and it seems not what it should to do.
    Once the EVF eyepiece is on top again the monitor could not be activated anymore. I have to remove it again.
    For me the principle is not quite understandable, too. The monitor is activated if the sensor got not enough light. But with the tape I take a lot of light away.

Edit: I stand corrected. I placed the tape on the right side and shortened it a bit.
    Odd but it works. Thank you.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  12. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Got my set of light dims and placed one of the small round dims over the lower half of the A6000 emitter/sensor. Works like a charm. Have to have my eye fully up on the eye piece for it to switch over.