Fitting Peak Design anchors to A7: a real pain

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by addieleman, Feb 14, 2017.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Just spent half an hour to fit Peak Design anchors to my old and trusty A7. Boy, is that a real and royal PITA! Can't imagine that it's supposed to be that difficult. Had to grease the anchors with soap, flatten the wires with pliers and push real hard to get them through the camera eyelets with the pointed end of the pliers, hopefully not causing too much damage to the anchor wires. Mind you, I removed the original triangular eyelets, I want to have a camera with as little as possible dangling stuff when it's on a tripod. Fitting them anchors to the A7R2 was equally difficult. The A7 suffered some scratches in the process but as it has suffered damage before I'm not too concerned about that, but doing this with a new camera would get me some extra nerves fired up.

Phew, happy now, but I'm hoping that Peak Design will offer something more comfortable before the next irresistible Sony camera comes out.

Meanwhile, I've also posted this message to the Peak Design support forum, asking if they will consider producing anchors with thinner wires.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Sucofni

Sucofni TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 8, 2015
    I didn't keep my peak design gear, preferring my own homemade wrist strap. BUT, I love the anchors. I bought loads to replace all the inadequate zip pulls on my walking jackets and rucksacks. Brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    At first I was "what???:confused-69:" but after I read that you removed the triangular hooks and that made sense :)

I left mine on

Their anchor system totally make my life easier! 2 sec procedure now to remove the strap from the camera when on a tripod and doing long exposures! Plus , the "Slide" is probably the most comfortable strap I've ever used. I also wear the "Cuff" all day too :D

Needless to say that I'm a big Peak Design fan and love their stuff - wish I could afford their Everyday Messenger and Backpack :(
    I'm gonna buy the Capture Lens clip next.

• Like Like x 2
  4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    Pictures guys, pictures. This thread is useless without PICTURES.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Can't have useless threads, can we?

A7R2 with anchors directly mounted
    DSC01647.

Detail
    DSC01652.

A7R2 with Slide Lite strap
    DSC01648.

A7R2 with Clutch wrist strap, ideal for street work IMHO
    DSC01649.

• Like Like x 2
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    @addieleman@addieleman do you prefer them attached that way? It looks very stiff/difficult for them to move around mounted like that.
    I can imagine mounted with the triangular hooks would provide a more practical/loose handling

And that's the "Cuff" right, not the "Clutch"? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The anchors are not too stiff but of course not as agile as with the triangular hooks. I prefer it this way, as bare as possible.

I guess you're right with the naming.

8. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sounds like some major PITA, Ad, like you've mentioned. I've been using a Sun Sniper strap for about 3 years now and that thing works better for me than anything else I've tried before.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks for the pictures!
    Do you press the black part into the red round part to get it to release from the strap?

10. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    The trick is to pull the anchor cords through, rather than push.

1) Flatten the bent cord so it will pass through (pliers are okay);
    2) put a little lubricant on the flattened end of the cord (a little soap will do);
    3) double up some dental floss and pass it through the anchor cord loop;
    4) thread the dental floss through the camera's eyelet;
    5) pull the anchor cord through.​

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Common sense would tell us it's easier to pull a rope than to push it. :thiagree:

• Like Like x 1
  12. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    They have a YouTube channel. Here is a pretty good video where you can see them in action about 45 seconds in.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    With the pics, now I can see what frustrated you. This looks to be a well-integrated system.

14. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Looks like a plan. I tried some electric 0.5mm wire but that wasn't strong enough.

15. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

You could try some stainless steel wire next time. A little stronger than Kevlar and easier to get usually- 0.5mm should be plenty strong enough for that sort of job.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The one thing that drew me to the Peak Design strap system is the option to remove or exchange straps quickly and easily. Once I got through the pain of fixing anchors to my cameras, it really adds to ease of use. I have only one other gripe with the straps: they very easily change length once the tension is off the strap, like when they're in the bag, and I had to readjust them to the desired length which for me is always the shortest possible. I now put some double-sided adhesive tape between the belt parts near the clips, problem solved; the arrow points to it where it's just visible.

DSC01656.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I use a JJC wrist strap I bought from Amazon, it has a clip to remove it.
    I use a sholder strap with clasps that clip to the triangular hooks (or the wrist strap anchor on the RHS).

32102745643_90dc37f309_c.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Being the cheap sob that I am, I've scrounged old straps from various cameras I've collected to use on my Sony's. I use my Nex-7 strap on my A7ii and an old Nikon strap on my Nex-7. I looked at the PD web site and see they sell the anchor/quick release things as a set for $20. That seems like a reasonable way to get QR on my straps so I could take them off easily and only wear out one at a time too.

IMG_0449.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yes. Best to watch a video from Peak Design to see it in action, works like a charm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks for the heads-up, wasn't aware of that! Ordered 2 sets yesterday, they came in today and I immediately mounted one of my old Nikon AN-6W straps on them. The Nikon straps are leftovers from my Nikon F3 days and I still prefer that strap over anything else so far. Very happy with this, a great strap with a quick-release option. :love:

20170217-001.

• Like Like x 2