1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Firware wish, Favorited settings.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by davect01, Feb 7, 2013.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I normally don't whine or complain, and am not really intending this as a complaint. I just upgraded to the latest firmware and got thinking about what I wish I had.

The one thing that bugs me and wish was part of my NEX is a programmed favorites settings button. What I mean is that I have a couple of places that I frequently shoot and I would love to set up the camera with particular settings and then have them saved, instead of resetting the camera every time.

I have this on my cell phone. Such a time saver.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    +1

My old Panasonic GX1 had two custom settings that I frequently switched to. Made life easy.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, custom settings would be a nice idea, but I think we'll have to wait to the NEX-7 successor for that.

What I want is that the "down" button on the back wheel on the NEX-7 would be programmable too, as it's a pointless button just now.

4. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Yes, saved settings would be great. It seem to me that it wouldn't be a big deal in a firmware update to do this or is my ignorance showing?

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I had that ability on my K20 and I never used it. Great idea, I just always forgot it was there. [shrug]

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Nope, it wouldn't be hard. But there has to be some point why they want us to buy the successor of the NEX-7 for probably 400 - 500 bucks more then.

7. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    That would be great for sure. Have it on my dslr and use it quite often. I vote for you as Sony Ceo.

8. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Even my Panasonic G3 has it. Most cameras support this with physical switches (C1/C2, or U1/U2). But even without physical switches, recalling the saved settings from menu would still be much better.

9. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Lack of custom settings is totally one of my main gripes on my NEX 7. Given that it'd be a very very usable camera. Sony also needs to allow ALL menus items to be configured for soft buttons (for instance Peaking settings, Format, etc)

10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Oh please, oh please, oh please...

11. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    +1
    But I already know there will be no update for my 5N anymore...
    Perhaps I should buy a new camera...

12. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I guess first gen buyers like me got the most updates. ;)

13. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Apparently there is a fw upgrade for the 5N (1.02). Mine is 1.01 (I think)

It would seem to be aimed at using the 16-50 pz with the 5N, which I have no intention of doing. Is there any point in me doing the update?
    Or is there other stuff that would improve the camera?

Also, with my Fuji X's I'm used to downloading the upgrade file, transferring it to the memory card and installing from there. Is it really necessary to download the updater and go through all that?

Rich.

14. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Even the SEL18-55 seems to focus a little bit faster. But most importantly you can now bracket shots up to ±3 EV, which is worlds different than ±0.7.

15. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    There is a 1.02??? Really???
    I have 1.01 and I think that's it...

16. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice responses. Like I said I am not a gripper and not intended this as a grip session.

Not enough to drive me away from my NEX, just wish this was possible.

17. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I vote from now on we all refer to davect01 as Dave the Griper. :2thumbs:

18. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Wow, really updated to 1.02 this morning... but no time to test yet.
    Didn't thought there would be another firmware since the 5R is out :)

19. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    On my old NEX5, all is ok, but 2 or 3 thinks make me angry every day...
    1. The button for MF assist... It is really on bad place. It will be superb, when it is possible to program shutter release for doing this function. For example, you press shutter release and MF assist function will be active for e.g. 3 sec. In this period you focus, than reframe and than press the shutter totally... Or, in the new NEXes, there is Fn button near shutter... It is possible to program this for MF assist function? In which model?

2. Another think is that enlarged area in MF assist mode is from centre of frame... Why? Why it is impossible to predefine this area anywhere within frame?

3. One of the most "get angry" think of my NEX 5 are ISO steps... Why, hell yeah, there are only full ISO steps, like 200/400/800/1600/3200/6400?? I just don´t need ISO 1600, but ISO 800 is too small... I just need ISO 1000 or 1250... I use this ISOs most time od my D90 and i´m very happy with this setting...I´m interested, have some of new NEX models fine gradation of ISOs?

All of these "small" problems would be solved by new firmware, though.

Thank you for your knowledge...

20. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    +1