First time with my A7S at a wedding! + question about color

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by taz98spin, Sep 30, 2014.

1. taz98spin

taz98spin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 14, 2014
    Posted this over on Facebook and DPR, but figured I would get more straight forward honest answers from here :)

So I used my A7S for a wedding this past weekend down in St. Petersburg, Florida.

15159534690_fcf8b06402. Gear for the wedding by Taz Spin, on Flickr

Shot 987 shots with the A7S + batter grip, and I didn't have to change the battery! Read lots of negative comments about the Sony battery life, but no issues what so ever with the battery life!

Using the flash was a little tricky though.. TTL didn't work that great with the HVL-F43M on camera. Maybe the A7S is just too sensitive to light, but even with the flash power dialed down by 2 stops, my images were turning out brighter than I wanted.. I like capturing the ambiance of the reception hall, instead of making everything look like its broad day light.. because of that fact, most of the reception hall photos, including bridal party entrance, first dance, toast photos were shot with my Fuji X-T1 with manual trigger and off camera flash.. I'm going to have to research an off camera flash solution for the A7S.

Besides the stupid mistakes that I made..:-(

- not changing the custom white balance that I set up the night before in my hotel room, for the 1st look photos (thank God for RAW)

- thinking that I was in Lock-on AF Flexible spot when actually it was Lock-on AF:Center so tracking wouldn't work while the bridal party walking down the aisle.. had to switch to my X-T1 to capture all of them walking towards me..

The A7S complimented my Fuji X-T1 very well!! & once the lights went out and the dancing started, my Fuji was put away, and all A7S from there!

PS. On another note.. I would like to know if my eyes are messed up, or I did the calibration wrong.. but I recently purchased Sypder4 Pro to calibrate my monitors. I calibrated the monitor yesterday and to me everything seems a little yellowish? Even this text box I'm typing in looks a little yellowish.. my wife doesn't see it, but I do.

Can you guys tell me if this SOOC image converted straight from RAW file's colors look pleasing to you? To me it looks a little yellow.. Thanks!

15381754816_30d22d3784_b. SOOC by Taz Spin, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    Looks good. I switched from Canon 1D Mark IV's to Sony for all of my professional work simply because of the form factor of the a7 series. I've been very happy indeed, and I've shot multiple weddings.

Your photo looks fine. I use a ColorMunki to calibrate, and it always looks too warm compared to the uncalibrated monitor, but I always get a good match to my prints. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. taz98spin

Sep 14, 2014
    That's good to read!!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Glad you are having success with the A7.

Various monitors, different calibrations will always be a problem.

I do sense a bit of too much warmth in this shot.
  5. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    My monitor has not been calibrated since it left the factory, but it is a del u2711 a professional monitor that has factory srgb and adobe rgb colour settings and the picture above does look slightly warm to me, but not too far off.
  6. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Thank you for posting about your experiences.

Could you see using a pair of α7S's for entire wedding? If not, why?
    If resolution is the reason for some group and portraits then having an α7 as third body for those work?

With the α7S in the mix now when do you reach for the x100? Could an α6000 work for those instances?
  7. taz98spin

Sep 14, 2014
    Yes, I could see myself using a pair of A7s' for the entire wedding, but that would be really expensive!
    I am having a hard time cropping images that I got from the A7S..
    Instead I could see myself with the A7S + A7R, or the A7S + A7. I

I used the X100S when the bridal party were getting ready. 35mm FOV works well for environmental portraits.
    I'm sure the a6000 could work well for that job as well!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. taz98spin

Sep 14, 2014
    Thanks for letting me know!