First time playing with ultrawide (FE 16-35/4)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by quezra, Jan 24, 2015.

1. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Managed to sneak out of the house for a few minutes today to play with my new lens

I am totally head over heels in love with ultrawide...
    • Like Like x 7
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Oh, man! You are not helping me avoid spending money I don't have on that lens, Joel! Not helping at ALL! All of those images are lust-worthy.
  3. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 9, 2013
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    Looks like you're off to a great start, Joel!

What do you think of the new view?
  4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Nice boat shots.
  6. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Yeah, great shots! Somehow glad I don't have an A7, so I don't get into the temptation of spending money on that lens :D
  8. Ares1

Ares1 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Tried this lens out at the shop yesterday - how I managed to walk out with out it I do not know... It's amazing! Will defo be buying it
  9. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks! This lens is so amazing. Sharp even at f/4.

It is a big lens, heavier than the 18-200LE by a lot even though similar in size.

Another upside is it stopped making my house feel small while trying to catch my kids. 16mm is crazy wide in this tiny apartment!

One downside is sensor reflections (which is partly mount flange distance at fault) - here is an example I took last night:
    It's a shame because the star bursts are really so nice with this lens otherwise.

To be fair, this happens with all the lenses including the FE55:

But anyway, I still love this lens. A zoom for my first ultrawide is about right. I have been playing with everything from about 16-28mm
    • Like Like x 4