FIRST TEST CANON FD 300/4.0L + FD 2X Tele-Converter on NEX-7

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Oct 18, 2013.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Essentially shooting a 600mm/8.0L lens, I was very impressed at the color & clarity.
    Used a tripod, and experimented operating the shutter both by hand and with the timer.
    Got pretty close by hand but no question the timer was sharper.
    Shot ISO1600 with aperture set to f/4

3 photos below:
    1st is squirrel on a limb 35yds away, Shutter=1/400.
    2nd is squirrel cropped up a little and found that it cropped up clean, Shutter=1/400.
    3rd is what happens when the squirrel got tired of waiting for the 10 sec timer to finish, Shutter=1/250.
    (note his right rear foot / claws are still holding onto the tree branch)

• Like Like x 6
  2. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    Nice. He looks just like the squirrels here is Washington State. I have a Sony 70-400mm and am thinking about adding a teleconverter. I would like to get the 2x but can't decide if I want to give up 2 stops. Has it been a problem for you? I have a NEX6 and don't have the cropping latitude you do.

Larry

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Had bought that 2X tele-converter a quarter century ago just before beginning a couple decades of chasing a career, relocating / starting new assignments every 3-4 years and got completely away from photography...never used the converter until today with those squirrel shots on the NEX-7.

First 2 photos had 1/400 shutter on a tripod and they seemed fine with that 600/f8 combination...plus it was a fairly overcast day. And the 3rd photo in motion headed down the tree was with 1/250 shutter and it froze him in detail.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Pretty impressive, I'd say. Well done!

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Not too bad for such a long reaching lens.

6. Gandalf

Gandalf TalkEmount Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    Sweet! I find the combination of a 300mm lens plus a 2X teleconverter is a great combo on the NEX cameras, especially those with EVFs.