1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First Steps into Product Photography

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by jereswinnen, Jul 17, 2013.

1. jereswinnen

jereswinnen TalkEmount Regular

Jul 11, 2013
    Belgium
    Jeremy Swinnen
    Still learning a lot as the 5N is my first "real" camera. Underneath are a few pics of my lovely Retina MBP. Would love to get into product photography in the near future :)

DSC00566.

DSC00571.

What do you think of them?

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Two things: Don't put any color there that the product itself has not. Product shots should show a product as it is. Second: Correct the barrel distortion. Nobody would buy a distorted MacBook.

3. jereswinnen

Jul 11, 2013
    Belgium
    Jeremy Swinnen
    Good call on the color advice. I updated the picture (and fixed the distortion (doh!)).

DSC00571.

Thanks!

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Some cool ideas at play - a good start, I think!

I highly recommend using some form of macro lens (SEL30 or just about any vintage macro lens with an adapter). I like them for their faithful renderings (no distortion) and generous close-up capability. I also recommend a good tripod, which I find really helps for fine-tuning compositions and allows you to use narrower apertures with continuous lighting of your choosing. You'll probably also want to start exploring lighting options. No need to go all out with the full array of fancy pro stuff - the web offers some pretty nifty homemade ideas. (I did recently splurge on one nice fresnel spot light and just that is going to keep me occupied for quite some time.)

In these shots, I'm thinking I'd like to see just a tiny bit of lighting on the exterior of the product. I get the whole mysterious / inner glow thing, but I think a client (and a customer) would probably like at least a small hint of the shape and texture on the outside. (I do, just as a viewer.)

Have fun! Can't wait to see your first magazine ad! :D

5. jereswinnen

Jul 11, 2013
    Belgium
    Jeremy Swinnen
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your insightful comment. I currently have a 30M35 Macro lens on order and that should be here quite soon. Also, both shots were taken with a tripod, that really helps indeed!

I'm currently looking into homemade lighting ideas, you have any links on that topic?

Thanks again!

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice shots Jeremy!!! I myself like the "artistic" look ;)

7. jereswinnen

Jul 11, 2013
    Belgium
    Jeremy Swinnen
    Thanks Nick!

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Looks much better now. The next thing that's wrong in the picture is symmetry. If a product calls for it (and a MacBook certainly does), you should either totally follow it or totally avoid it. In your case, the camera wasn't totally centered. This causes the trackpad to look slightly off center. May be just my eyes though. What's not my eyes are the shadows though. They look quite a bit different on the left and right side. I know it's easier to go completely without shadows (as Apple themselves often do), but if you go with this kind of shadows, it helps to make them symmetrical. Otherwise, they take away attention from the product itself.

9. jereswinnen

Jul 11, 2013
    Belgium
    Jeremy Swinnen
    Some good advice you're giving me which I very much appreciate! I'm definitely going to experiment a bit more over the weekend. Thanks Hannes!

10. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
  11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Kind of like it myself.

12. jereswinnen

Jul 11, 2013
    Belgium
    Jeremy Swinnen
    Thanks Dave!

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It is more of an artistic view, but nice.

14. jereswinnen

Jul 11, 2013
    Belgium
    Jeremy Swinnen
    Update!

Hi guys!

Today I played around a bit trying to get a good shot while keeping the feedback in mind (looking at you Poki!). This is also my first time using manual focus; it seems I'm getting sharper photos using that method. Again, shot with the 18-55 kit lens.

DSC00608.

Slightly PP'd in Lightroom 5. The 'texture' you see is the back of my placemat, looks kinda cool now I see it :)

Any feedback is welcome and much appreciated!

15. jereswinnen

Jul 11, 2013
    Belgium
    Jeremy Swinnen
  16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    This is much better! If this mystical type of product shots where only one part is lit is your thing, go for it!

But, and I hate being the bad guy again, it may be a good idea to fill the frame with the product, i.e. go in a little bit tighter. Just my two cents for this vastly improved shot.

17. jereswinnen

Jul 11, 2013
    Belgium
    Jeremy Swinnen
    Thanks Poki! Regarding the mystical type, I'm currently just experimenting and playing with different techniques.

18. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    There's nothing more important than finding your own style. If it's different than anything else, than you've done it as good as possible. Only stay consistent once you figured out what is your style.

19. jereswinnen

Jul 11, 2013
    Belgium
    Jeremy Swinnen
    Thanks for the advice (again!). Really appreciate it :)

20. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I think your missing the point. There ar. the boring, everyday product shot. He's trying to create a fun images.