1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First shots with the A6000

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Believer, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Believer

Believer TalkEmount Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    New Jersey, US
    Ryan
    Hello everyone - I received my A6000 on Friday of last week (just in time for Easter!) and have only had a small chance to shoot with it so far. I got some good portraits on Easter that I haven't had a chance to get up to my Flickr but I just wanted to share my first impression and first few shots with the A6000 for those who may be interested in it.

First Impressions

Coming from the Nex-5N the A6000 feels a bit more substantial in the hand, a little larger in the hand. When I first got it I still had that 'brand new handle-it-like-glass' syndrome but after really feeling comfortable with it I enjoyed the slightly larger size.

An EVF is new to me coming from the 5N so it will take a bit of getting used to having one before it becomes first instinct to use it. I read the reviews noting the lesser quality of it but to me it produced accurate colors, never lagged behind or anything like that and definitely helped me feel more connected to what I was shooting.

The menus are different than it's predecessors as I understand and definitely from the 5N so navigating those and vetting out all the features and options is still a work in progress. The menu is easy to use and intuitive in my opinion.

The auto focus. This was one of the biggest tipping points for me to upgrade to the A6000 and I am NOT disappointed. The AF is brilliantly fast and accurate and even in lower light situations it did not hunt a single time, very unlike my 5N. Theres not much more I can say about it yet as my shooting with it hasnt been very long, just that the difference is night and day.

I would like to mention I was highly disappointed with Sony's decision to not include a backing cap for the kit lens nor a body cap for the camera. This to me, after spending the money I did on the camera, was kind of a slap in the face from Sony.

I realize this isn't much of a 'review' but I didn't intend for it to be really comprehensive, just my first thoughts to help those searching so I apologize to those who may find this lacking detail. Enjoy!

The shots

These shots were mostly for test purposes, but I feel they came out pretty well for just a quick walk around the yard. These are mostly untouched out of the camera - a crop here and there and slight touchings of contrast and curves. The portrait is the most heavily processed of them all.

16-50 PZ Kit Lens

13936425912_c831161c29_c.

Pretty sure the next two were taken with a 55mm 1.8 Pentax lens
    13953261542_198915936e_c.

13956439905_3e9a437438_c.

Kit Lens
    13953262971_1f3e2b1131_c.

13976432763_9dfbf325d8_c.

135mm Legacy lens, brand unknown at the moment
    13953261072_c038033cd9_c.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Just got mine on Saturday and planned to post similar to you later!
    Agreed on all points, particularly on the lens/body caps, very annoying, will be picking some up this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Believer

Nov 28, 2012
    New Jersey, US
    Ryan
    I ordered mine the same day, as well as two new Caselogic bags for my gear; one a backpack for travel and walking around with more than just the camera and one to just tote the camera around in. Got a great deal on Amazon for both.

Ryan, on the go.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looking good and great timing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Haha - seems we both are thinking alike! I just bought a Lowepro backpack today that fits all my gear, and still using the OEM Nex-5 case that takes a loaded camera (just fits the A6000) plus one extra lens for walk about!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Thanks for the review!

Hopefully, we'll see the AF technology trickle up to the A7 series!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Believer

Nov 28, 2012
    New Jersey, US
    Ryan
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    B&H has the Sony one listed on their website for pre-order at $14 + shipping. The "pre-order" might just be that they haven't updated the website because they've been closed for the holidays. They reopen tomorrow morning ... they might be able to tell you on the phone when they expect to ship.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Believer

Nov 28, 2012
    New Jersey, US
    Ryan
    Thanks! I will check this out.

10. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Any update when it will be available?
    I signed up for email notification, but just seeing if there was any set date.