1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First shot with my new NEX-6

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Nubster, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Just a quick grab of my son using my new NEX-6 with an adapted Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D lens. Manual focus is great with this camera even though I am pretty lost at the moment with all the adjustments, menus, and other things I'm not used to....I will say the IQ is awesome...this is a JPEG right off the camera. Need to figure out how to get LR to do RAW files though...seems it doesn't like the ARW files.

zanderpeace.

Attached Files:

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Enjoy the new camera. There is a bit of a learning curve.

Which version of lightroom are you using? Lightroom 4.2 has the raw support for nex 5r/6.

3. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Just have LR2...not sure if I can do anything with it...may have to upgrade.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    'Fraid so. But the new raw development capabilities are well worth the cost of admission.

5. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    At least I can get the student discount

6. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    That is some sharp manual focus on the eyes. That AF lens has good optics, but I actually prefer my Series E 50mm f/1.8 for manual focusing because of the good dampening. You did very well here.

7. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Thanks...can't wait until tomorrow...the Minolta 50mm MC f/1.4 I ordered will be here...I'm hoping I can cut things with its sharpness.

That said, I'd love to try out a Series E 50mm soon. I love the 50mm focal length so I don't mind owning a handful of different 50mils.

8. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    You can download Adobe DNG converter (free) and convert to DNG and then Lightroom will be fine with the files. Adds an extra step but the converter is pretty quick. This is what I do as I have LR3 and would probably need to upgrade my PC to upgrade to LR4 as it's quite resource intensive, but my PC works fine for all other uses so I am not upgrading it just so I can use LR4. :)

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Cute, love the missing teeth.

10. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Great looking young fellow, and obviously Peaking already serves you very well. Do yourself a favor and forget about the whole RAW hassle.
    NAh, just kidding of course (or am I ?)

11. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Well, honestly, so far JPEG has been pretty darn good off the camera. I'd still like the option though. I've been himhawing around upgrading my LR2 for some time now...guess this gives me a good reason to go for it.

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Does LR 3 have the raw support for Nex or only LR4?

13. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Think just LR4...
    But DNG is a good work around...

14. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    LR3 is fine for the older models (eg: 5, 5n) but only LR4 recognises the raw files from the current models.