1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First Review of A6500

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by fractal, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    He certainly seems impressed by it, no doubt its a great camera in a very compact package.

2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I want it, and i want it now daddy... Perfect sum up

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I don't think I'll go for the A6500 in the end because I now expect Sony to come up with a full-frame body with a touch screen and improved AF performance.

• Like Like x 1
  4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Besides breaking the bank, what's wrong with having both?

5. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The new FF body alone will wreak havoc with my bank account all by itself, so even that won't make a difference. However, I don't think I'll have a use for the A6500 once I'd have a FF body with touch screen AF and similar AF performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I'm with you there. But as many of us have already said, "i got into E-mount for the size / weight reduction " I doubt they are going to make the FF bodies smaller anytime soon. While i love the IQ of my a7ii, I do miss the small size i grew to love of my 5r, I'm very excited for the a6500. That being said, It will be hard to live withOUT the new FF body when it eventually is updated. The dilemmas are real.

7. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Well, I've never been one of those. The weight of my bag is primarily determined by the weight of the lenses and when I want to travel light I just load the A7R2 with the FE 1.8/50. I'm not prepared to give up FF and I would only consider the A6500 as an addition to my kit, not as the main camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Canikon must be scratching their heads :doh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I got into E-mount for the size and weight so Im curious about the future development in aps-c lenses. For me the A6xxxx bodies don't make sense if they are to be paired with g-master lenses.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I agree with Ad.

In fact, the (small) size of the a6xxx line-up bothers me to the point that its not convenient as far as handling goes - so while the sensor size doesn't bother me, I won't buy a sony apsc a6xxx unless they go with something similar to xt1-2 size wise :)

Still, as I said, the a6500 development is exciting cause it means that most of the new features will find their way to the future FF A7x line ;)

11. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I like the small size of the A6xxx series, it's replaced my MFT gear as my more compact kit, and I'm much happier with having a FF camera (A7R2) and a smaller crop sensor camera (A6300) that are fully compatible and use the same lens mount with the same menu structure etc.

• Like Like x 3
  12. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Besides my own preference I feel the big point is we still get to choose whether we want the large slr's, the slightly smaller mirrorless or even the tiny mirrorless cameras and that's more important, or should be, to all of us than if this or that model fits "me" perfectly. The competition, alternative solutions and variaty is what keeps the makes alert and buy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looks like a solid update.

Lots of little things like: "Shutter Release Sensitivity: When we all got hold of the venerable A6000, we were just happy to get 11 fps and it was easy to forgive the fact that it was nearly impossible to shoot one frame when the camera was set to Hi. A6300 allowed the same performance and still, you'd get tow or even three shots when you tried to get one off. A6500's shutter release has been worked over. It's now possible to get just one frame off. It is this attention to detail that I appreciate so much about Sony. While I wished they had gotten this change in the A6300, it is most welcome in the A6500."

I know on my A6000, if I don't set it to mid or low, I'll get 2 or 3 shots if I am not quick to release the shutter.

• Like Like x 1
  14. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Overheating issue appears fixed...

• Like Like x 2
  15. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Darned. No more scrambled egs and bacon on photo outings :(

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I'd really like to see someone use a thermal camera and or laser thermometer and get some readings. While this looks good it'd be pretty bad of Sony to actually have just made the firmware of the 6500 allow for higher Temps..

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    The pendulum has just swung in favour of the A6500 in lieu of the A7II

18. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I wouldn't be surprised of announcement of an A7iii for Christmas. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    Will if that be the case then "the circle of confusion" will grow.:dash2:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2