First RAW shot with my NEX-6

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Nubster, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I finally upgraded from LR2 to LR4. I know there were some work arounds, but I wanted to shoot RAW with my camera and I figured I might as well get the most updated LR anyways. So, I took a few test shots and picked one to do a real quick PP...might be a tad dark, but overall, it seems to be ok. For some reason, I'm having issues with getting sharp focus...might be the lens. This is with the 90mm Tamron. It was dropped once, I'd like to get it looked at but I'm afraid it'll cost more than the lens is worth...anyways...here's the shot...

DSC00502resize_zps888ac26f.

Attached Files:

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looks pretty good from here.

3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Nice shot. Kid looks like he's got some nice tats.

Did you use any noise reduction on the photo?

4. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Thanks and yeah, he's pretty heavily "inked"...lol

I did use a little noise reduction in LR.

5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I've always felt the default LR settings for the NEX was undersharpened. When I shoot RAW+JPEG, it always seems I need to boost the sharpening and decrease the noise to match the JPEG.

I find I'm pretty consistent with sharpening amount in the 65-90 range; Radius 1.5-2.0; Detail 10-20; Masking 80-90. For Noise Reduction, Luminance gets bumped the higher the ISO. And I seem to end up with detail around 50.

I'm still not always happy though. So let's hear it: What settings do other LR users tend to use?

6. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    Very nice shot, but the color balance is off - much too red/orange. You can fix it with the color temp slider, then fine-tune with the tint slider, but in the future you'd find it much easier to take an extra shot with a gray reference, balance that one with LR's eyedropper tool, then sync the color balance with the "real" shots. (I have one of these Stephen Johnson Photography Digital GrayCap stuck on all my lens caps, but many others are available as well.) Also, might be a bit oversaturated, but it's hard to tell until you balance the color. You could try backing off a bit on the saturation and/or vibrance sliders.

The beauty of shooting raw is that you can fix all this easily and perfectly in LR. Had you shot jpg, it would be much more difficult to get it right once the camera made its color temp decision at the time of the shoot. (Of course, there are many other advantages as well, notably much-increased exposure latitude.)

7. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Lovely looking boy. critical focus seems perfectly Placed in the eyes :)

8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Yup - looks sharp to me!

9. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    IMHO, this shot is underexposed... Did you use legacy lens? Probably yes, as I see exif. For legacies i usually use +1,7 exposure compensation for my NEX 5.

10. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I used a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro lens. I agree, it does look a little dark but messing with the exposure in LR really didn't look right. Maybe it's the settings on my camera not dialed in, or just how Sony RAW files are rendered, not sure. I know that NEF files were always very easy to work with. I'm off this weekend and tomorrow is supposed to be nice although cold. I hope to get out and do some shooting so I'll get a better feel how the camera works and maybe get it dialed in for my shooting preference.

11. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    No worries Nubster, it's your first RAW shot. I suggest you take some photos in RAW+jpeg so you can make some comparisons with your settings in Lightroom. Once you are comfortable then you can push for the looks you are interested in.

12. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    For some reason, I do not see your image, so I have no idea how it would look on my screen. However, I have noticed a significant difference between how a photo looks on two different computers, so this may a be a big factor.

Try calibrating your screen using some of the free software that you will find on the web and see if that makes a difference. The hardware-based calibration systems may get you the last few percent toward "accurate", but you shouldn't need them to get very close to the "standard". Then all you have to worry about is getting everyone else to calibrate their systems . . . :D

- Tom -

13. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    Gone, the image is gone.
    Bruce

14. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Sorry. I moved it to a different folder in photobucket and I forgot to update the link in this thread. It should be showing again.

15. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Yup, it does now for me.

- Tom -

16. bcaslis

bcaslis New to TalkEmount

Jan 1, 2013
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
  17. Mirrorless

Mirrorless TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 11, 2012
    Ambrose
    I process my raw file in LR4 as well. (However I do turn them to DNG first so all adjustment contains within the file). IIRC, my NR setting "usually" stays around 40-50 @ISO100 with details in the 20s. The file does need a bit less NR when there isn't much shadow I found. I used a lot less sharpening compare to you? However you do use a high amount of masking so that might be the difference. My sharpening usually stays <1/2 of the slider.

ps. I found it very useful to zero out the sharpening before doing your NR. It becomes a chicken and egg problem sometime if you leave it on :)

18. Mirrorless

Mirrorless TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 11, 2012
    Ambrose
    chad-2.
    Chad - a little white slider and exposure (+white balance).. not sure if the color or tone is correct.

19. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Much better.