• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

First post and a question about a few Legacy Lenses

Believer

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Ryan
Hello everyone.

My name is Ryan and this is my first post on these forums. Through much research I have decided to purchase the NEX5N and have found my way here. After realizing that many legacy lenses can be adapted to the 5N I was very excited when I remembered the lenses and bodies that were given to me. My question is - What do I have here? Are these lenses worth keeping and adapting to the 5N? Can these lenses even BE adapted to the 5N? I have posted images of the lenses I have and the bodies that they have come from. I apologize for poor quality of the images. Thanks a ton in advance for your help!

*Edit - Can't post images from Google Docs - rectifying*

2012-11-28 17.27.57.jpg
   ---            

From this body:

2012-11-28 17.29.06.jpg
   ---            

2012-11-28 17.31.24.jpg
   ---            

and

2012-11-28 17.30.40.jpg
   ---            

From this body:

2012-11-28 17.29.23.jpg
   ---            

eno789

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
The lenses from the Pentax Spotmatic body, uses a m42 screw mount. All you need is a m42 to NEX adapter.
The SMC 55mm f/1.8 is a very good lens, although quite common.
Not sure about lenses from the Olympus body. It most likely can be adapted, but may not worth the effort just for that particular lens.

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
Encourage friend hitting M42 adapter on ebay, you can find for 10 bucks and test it, welcome to the MF in the NEX ....

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Yep, just buy two cheap adapters (M42 to NEX, and Olympus OM to NEX) and you should be able to mount all your lenses to try them out. Make sure you select the 'activate shutter without lens' feature in your menu - because if the lens is not a native E-mount lens, your camera will think that there is no lens attached to the body.

Welcome... :)

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Hi Believer, congrats on the new camera & welcome ot the forums. :)

The SMC Tak 55/1.8 is a very nice lens, search the forum for example pics. The Osawa and the Kamero are typical of 3rd party lenses from the 60's/70's. The only way to tell if these particular samples are any good is to get the adapters and give them a run.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
welcome

Yep, just buy two cheap adapters (M42 to NEX, and Olympus OM to NEX) and you should be able to mount all your lenses to try them out. Make sure you select the 'activate shutter without lens' feature in your menu - because if the lens is not a native E-mount lens, your camera will think that there is no lens attached to the body.

Welcome... :)

Welcome to our little group. Don't know much about the lenses you have, but as stated get the adapters and have fun.

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
Welcome to our little group. Don't know much about the lenses you have, but as stated get the adapters and have fun.

another victim of MF, lol. I'm thrilled that when this group began more than a year, and I'm going to be a year this December I learned a lot here. : O

Believer

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Ryan
Thanks for the replies all! I figured the 1.8 was a nice lens, but wasn't sure about the others. I do not actually have the 5N yet, but it will be ordered within a day or so. My biggest question is, are these lenses enough to allow me to purchase a body only? or should I go for the whole kit?

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
From what I see you've got a 55/1.8 which makes an excellent portrait length (82.5mm equivalent on NEX) - this is a perfect length for portraits in my opinion. The 135/2.8 is a standard tele (200mm on NEX) and these lenses have been historically very good though I don't know anything about Kamero (presumably a cheaper third party manufacturer - they can be hit-and-miss).

Your 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5 is a kit zoom lens of sorts, but 35mm on a 1.5 crop NEX sensor will give an effective equivalent view of 52.5mm, which is the tail end of the "normal" range.

So what you're missing is wide angle coverage, which the kit lens (18-55) will do very well. That said, you may opt for just getting a Sigma 19/2.8 (especially if you can still catch the £99/$149 deals). But if you don't like using the manual zoom (or if the image quality turns out to not be good enough), then the NEX kit lens will be more versatile since you're already covered at the portrait and tele lengths with your primes, which should have better image quality in general (and are certainly faster) than the zoom.

Believer

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Ryan
Thanks quezra, I think your thoughts confirmed what I was leaning toward - buying the kit for the wider kit lens. So stoked to get it and start shooting!

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Hello Believer and wecome.
Though I belong to the group of rabid MF users, I would encourage you to buy the 18-55 kit lens as well. You never know when you may need wide angle, and also a cheap, easy solution to have your NEX behave as a P&s.
Enjoy !

Believer

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Ryan
Thanks Nianys, I appreciate your input. I also have to say I find your daughter insanely adorable.. your captures are awesome!

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Thanks Nianys, I appreciate your input. I also have to say I find your daughter insanely adorable.. your captures are awesome!

Thanks for the kind words :) Believe it or not I am not actively chasing the closest cousin to your nifty, the Pentax K 55/1.8. After a little research it seems to be more scarce and even better reputed that the awesome 50/1. and 1.7. Hopefully getting one on eBay tonight;;;

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Thanks for the kind words :) Believe it or not I am not actively chasing the closest cousin to your nifty, the Pentax K 55/1.8. After a little research it seems to be more scarce and even better reputed that the awesome 50/1. and 1.7. Hopefully getting one on eBay tonight;;;

Oh no, I thought you said "no more nifty fifties" -when will this end???
lol J/K offcourse :D

Latest threads

Top Bottom