1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First Portrait Shoot

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by fractal, Oct 28, 2015.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I was asked by my Brother-in-law if I would consider doing my nephew's senior portraits. My Brother-in-law is much handier than I am and considering that I owe him for the several odd jobs he's helped me with I could not refuse.

I was a bit nervous however so I studied up on portrait photography, natural lighting ( we were going to be outside ) and poses. I scouted an area (which I was already familiar with) the week before the shoot for portrait possibilities. The big day came and I met my nephew and his mother (my SIL) later in the afternoon at the nearby park I scouted. My SIL served as my assistant and she did a great job with the reflectors I brought along. It was an overcast day which had it's pluses and minuses.

Here are my favorite shots. I was generally happy with the results considering it was my first time. Looking back there are a number of things I would change or do differently - it was a great learning experience. My BIL, SIL and most importantly my Nephew loved the shots. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

I used my NEX-7 and the following lenese; Olympus 100mm 2.8, Sony SEL 50mm 1.8, Sony Zeiss 24mm 1.8, and the Minolta Maxxum 200mm 2.8 and Minolta 50mm 1.4. The SEL 50mm produced the most "keepers".

DSC00006-XL.

DSC00073-XL.

DSC00075-X2.

DSC00084-X2.

DSC00202-X2.

DSC00284-X2.

DSC00288-X2.

DSC00299-XL.

DSC00304-X2.

DSC00320-X2.

DSC00345-X2.

DSC00432-X2.

DSC09975-XL.

DSC09989-XL.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I'd be very nervous about doing "real" portraits for anyone at the moment. As such, I admire your willingness to take on such a family request.
    And it looks like you provided some excellent results. Good shots!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    These look really good to me (I am not a portrait photographer, though). I, too, admire your willingness to do this. Perhaps family familiarity helped put your nephew at ease. I think he looks very relaxed and natural.

Much of the stress I have experienced in my life has been the result of family and friends knowing I owned a camera or a pickup truck.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I'm not a portrait guy, but I think you did a great job Chris.

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Very good! The bridge and brown window sill are my faves.
    Portraits aren't my forte either, but am considering putting some serious effort into it.

6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Great shots. Really like the B&W

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I suck at portraiture too. But of these, I like #10 & 13 the most. Though I think 13 would have been better if the top of his head hadn't been severed. :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very nice. ☺

Never done work with reflectors, but they make a huge difference when doing this kind of work.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Really like the results here Chris! The composition is great, the lighting is very good and like the poses! All are great but #5, #9, #10 and #12 are my favorites:)

P.s. How many outfits did he change? :D

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  10. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    lol! Yeah, I did cut off his head didn't I?

Thanks Nick! In addition to carrying around the reflectors, his Mother was also carrying the several outfits. :biggrin:

11. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    All good stuff there...and I really liked the couple of casual poses:
    ( Leaning against the stone wall with the big tree in the frame )
    ( Standing in front of the brown building )

12. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Chris,

The 5th one...well composed :2thumbs:

Mus.

13. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    A nice set, I've never photographed a guy but I imagine the criteria is a bit different than for a girl! I like them all because they are very natural but number 9 is a standout for me.

14. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Fantastic job!
    I really like 5,7,9 and 10. A shame he lost part of the foot on 5 :D I am far from an expert but I am learning slowly
    I need to get brave enough to try my first real "job". I am getting ready to do a Corporate style portrait shoot for my company and I read and watch every video I can to try being as prepared as possible so congrats of getting this done so well!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    My fav is #10 (grey sweater, green background). It has the most flattering lighting, expression, eye detail, catchlights, pose and composition. I wonder if more of the hands should have been in the frame, but then you might have ended up with part of a knee in the frame and I'd be wondering about that. :) Deciding where to crop for an upper body shot can be tricky.

• Like Like x 1
  16. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Thanks everyone for their feedback! It's been very helpful - and keep it coming.

For me #9 is one of my favorites but only after I reviewed the pictures in LR did I notice the metal plate behind his head, which is a bit distracting. I need to be more careful when using backgrounds that are in focus.

17. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    I like #7. It's either awkward or he knew it's funny and it shows. :D