First nice shot of my dog. Nex5r Minolta MD 50mm 1.7. Any critique would be appreciated.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Drewsta1987, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Drewsta1987

Drewsta1987 New to TalkEmount

Sep 11, 2013
    London
    Drew
    Hi guys. Newbie here. First post, would love to hear any help or advice. Hope to post here often! I was trying out the Minolta I picked up on ebay. Out of around 40-odd shots, this was really the only one I liked. I'm finding using manual focus really tough, but learning.

BnpG1D2.

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    First of all, welcome to the forum! :bravo-009:

Your dog pic doesn't come out bad at all. Since you ask, I would have done one thing differently. Your dog has a looong nose, so I would have stopped down (2 stops I guess) to get more of his nose in focus, combined with focussing a little closer, not on the eyes but a little bit before. This is hard to get right exactly because the slightest hint of unsharpness in the eyes will be disturbing. At least, that's how I feel about it.

3. Drewsta1987

Drewsta1987 New to TalkEmount

Sep 11, 2013
    London
    Drew
    Thanks for the reply.

I'll take on board stopping down a bit. I think I just got carried away as it's my first 1.7!

Appreciate the advice.

4. arief184

arief184 TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    Sorry I am also newbie. do you mean stop down 2 stop from 1.7 will become 2.8?
    Thanks.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    f/1.7 is about halfway between f/1.4 and f/2, so 2 stops down would be between f/2.8 and f/4. That said, my "2 stops" was not meant as an exact statement. I think I'd use f/4 after having seen the picture on my screen, the nose is quite unsharp up-front so it looks like serious stopping down is needed. Just a hunch.

6. arief184

arief184 TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    Thanks a lot for your explanation Ad.... Sometimes I confuse regarding stopping up and down on term of aperture.
    rgds, Arief.

7. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Oh my. My wife is going to melt when she sees this ;). What a look and a beautiful subject as well. Very nicely done.

All the best.

Danny.