First macro with Vivitar 2x macro TC and Canon FD 50 / 1.8

Discussion in 'Nature' started by markoneswift, Oct 16, 2013.

1. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Here we go - RAW edit in CS5 for some noise reduction.

flower by markoneswift, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  2. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Nothing in this image appears to be sharp. I think you either missed focus or you have motion blur or both.

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think it is more narrow DOF (and possibly some motion blur).

4. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Quite right on all the above, the shot was more a proof of concept than anything else. It was hand held, in poor light with quite a high ISO ( and it was windy ). So yeah, motion blur, missed focus and quite narrow DoF.

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that focus was ok. You can see that there is a narrow band in focus in the petal pointing right.

I think that lightning is major problem with this macro stuff. I am more interested in plants and mushrooms so I can use tripod (got a Triopo carbon fibre tripod with macro arm for it) and have Godox ring flash too.

6. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Well the flower was moving and I was hand holding in daylight ( not sun ) so yes lighting was an issue and forced a lower shutter speed than I would have liked. I would normally get a tripod out, but I couldn't be bothered :)

7. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Besides, does everything HAVE to be 'sharp' ? There's a lot of over-emphasis placed on 'sharpness'. Show me 35mm film macro shots that were even as close to 'sharp' as mine was. We digital beings seem obsessed with sharpness.

• Like Like x 1